Question

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE-Why make it so hard for customers?

On Friday, October 12 I came home to find my order from Kmart.com on my front porch where UPS had left it. I went to pick it up and I heard a rattle as if something was loose in the box. As it ended up, the box was beat up on one side and had been taped. When I opened the box, parts of my 13 pc Craftsman Spade bit set were rolling around inside. I knew instantly the box had been damaged in transit, the plastic case had opened and all but four bits and the metal holder had fallen out. I immediately called Kmart customer service as I asssumed they would want to place a damage claim against UPS. I spoke to Syliva (in Florida) and explained the situation. She appeared to be pulling up documents on how to handle the situation as the call took about 1/2 hour. Ultimately, she agreed to credit my Sears account for the amount of the spade bit set. I asked her to send me an e-mail confirmation about our conversation and the amount to be credited and she indicated she would. Today, October 16 I still had not received the e-mail confirmation and called back to make sure everything was being handled. I spoke with Sylvia (in Georgia) who may go down as creating the worst single customer service experience I have had. I explained to her the situation and told her I was calling just to make sure the credit was in process. She apologized and put me on-hold while she looked into it. Eventually, she came back on the line and said she was still researching. I asked her if she needed more information about what had happened and the original call. She again apologized, said she was researching and put me on-hold. After an extended hold she came back, apologized and said she was crediting $9.00. Since the spade bit set cost $19 I told her that didn’t make sense and on my original call we had agreed to a full refund. Again, she apologized and put me on-hold. Eventually she came back telling me she would need to send it to “that department” and it would be two or three days. At this point I had been on the phone over 1/2 hour and I was getting livid. I asked her what “that department” meant and why I needed to wait two or three more days since my original call was on 10/12? I asked her what the normal process was when a package was damaged in transit? No answer. I asked her if she had documentation from the orginal call? No answer. Basically, she didn’t have the answer to anything I asked. She kept apologizing but doing nothing. I had to ask her to stop apologizing as it was getting that annoying. I asked to speak with a Supervisor. I waited over 15 mintues and was never connected to anyone. So here I am, four days from my original call trying to do the right thing and report it right away. I’ve spent 1.5 hours on the phone with customer service and gotten nowhere. Why put customers throught this hassle???

Answers

6 answers

• San Jose, CA

I just saw that set of spade bits, along with the red painted metal holder on the Tool Holiday display.

Buying them at the store may be the safest way to acquire the tools.

That is definitely the old "pop-open" type of plastic packaging, that the old screwdriver packages came in, too.

The answer? Staple those bad boys SHUT with an Arrow P-22 hand stapler, before the packages have the chance to splode open on their display hooks!

Got my P-22 at one of the local OSH stores, along with a box of 5000 staples.

Some of the packaging didn't have enough "glue" to hold the plastic front packaging to the rear cardboard packaging.

P-22 it!

Some of the files are slipping out the bottom of their vinyl plastic packages. Stick on an extra staple or two to hold the metal file inside of the plastic packaging!

Handy tool, that would have been even MORE BETTER if there were a leather or nylon holster to hold the tool at the ready, during a busy shift.

Never lay down a personal tool, ANYWHERE on the shop/ sales floor, that you are not prepared to lose.

• San Jose, CA

I definitely hear you. I had this package of three Mechanics' tools that came in a big box with no peanuts. The good news is that, unlike your order, the box managed to hold together and the tools had a little extra finish antiquing/ stressing than new tools normally receive.

The tools match the other tools I have, and have been using since the Army and just are still a little more "shiny" than the more patina rich older tools.

I'm glad to hear the basic tools and metal holder arrive OK.

You are right about the plastic package coming apart. The screwdriver version of this type of packaging was even worse.

Now a days, you need a pair of sheet-metal shears to open up the thicker plastic packaging, with the heat sealed edges surrounding all four sides of the packaging.

Enjoy those spade bits and visit us over at the Craftsman Community site if you have any tool questions, wish to share knowledge, or just want to "talk tools".

• San Jose, CA

So. Are the spade bits alright? Is the metal holder "scratched"? Is there a store local to you, that "may" be able to help with the exchange? I have that set. Good tools. Were there any packaging peanuts in the package?

1. The four spade bits that were still in the box and the metal case all appeared to be in good shape. Everything was outside of the plastic container the set is packaged in (which just pulls open). The shipping box had no other packaging in it which may be why it ultimately ripped. I had a second package that was part of this order that arrived with no problems. This kind of stuff happens from time to time. My real frustration is with the poor handling by Customer Service.

1. Pds1506,

We are terribly sorry for the condition your package arrived in. We apologize the service you received via telephone was less than favorable and left you feeling frustrated. We are very sorry for the time and energy you have lost throughout this ordeal. We would like to look into this for you to ensure your refund has been processed and find a way to make this right.
    At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your order was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (pds1506) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
    Zenaida M.
    MySears Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

2. Hi pds1506! I am so sorry to hear about this frustrating experience with your claim. Please check back on this thread shortly for a response from a SearsCares team member. They will be your one point of contact to get you through a satisfactory resolution.

See More