Question

How can I get my bed delivered?

Originally I was supposed to get my bed on Dec 30th. That delivery was cancelled. It was rescheduled for today. That was cancelled. My next date is Jan 16th. I am sleeping on the floor because I have no bed. How do I get this escalated? A Commedy of Errors or My Sears Home Delivery Service Experience.

I had an old waterbed and I decide I wanted to replace it with a firmer bed.

On December 15 went to the Ridgedale and ordered a bed. A queen sized mattress, box spring, and a basic frame. The clerk punched it into the register and the system said it could be delivered as soon as Friday Dec 21st, but I asked for it to be delivered on Friday Dec 29th because I would be at home on vacation. I decided to be flexible since I was at home on vacation and did not spend $20 to specify a morning or evening delivery time. The clerk said I would get a call closer to the delivery date with the time window of my delivery.

I got a phone call on the evening of Dec 28th. The evening before my delivery. The system said my bed would be delivered between 8 am and 10am.

So on Friday morning I got up at 5am to start draining and disassembling my waterbed so I would have room for the new bed. 10:15 am passed and my bed had not arrived. Since it was snowing lightly I thought perhaps they might be delayed so at 10:30am I called back the number that had called me to see if they could give me an idea of when the bed would be arriving. My son had spent the night at my parent’s place and I needed to pick him up so I want to have an idea of when I could pop over to their place to pick him up.

So the first time I call the number I got a person and asked them went might my bed be arriving. They said they would check and please hold. The next thing I know I had been disconnected.

So I called right back, the second person I connected to told me that the delivery has been cancelled because all the parts had not arrived. She said was going to call the warehouse to see on the status and put me on hold. I was on hold for a short time and then the next thing I knew an answering machine at the warehouse was asking me to leave a message.

So I left a message asking about my order and provided my phone number. Just in case I would actually get a call back from the warehouse. After leaving my phone number, I called right back to the 800 number again.

I got connected to a third person. At this point I was getting a little frustrated but still very civil. I explained I have already been disconnected twice and asked if there was a direct number I could get from her that I could call her back on should we get disconnected. She said could not provide that. So then I asked her if I could provide my number and she could call me back if we get disconnected. She took down my number and started helping me with my problem. She also contacted the warehouse but this time we were not disconnected. She said there was no new expected delivery date at this time but the warehouse would call me in 24 to 48 hours to give me a new delivery date. She said she was going to send me a $50 gift card for all my troubles (It has not arrived yet).

All this took about 30 minutes. Then I called my parents to have them to see if they could drop off my son at my place. I wanted to be around should the warehouse call me back. They never called.

At 2pm on Friday I got an automated message saying my delivery had been canceled. 4 hours after my delivery window was already past. It that call could have been Friday morning when they knew they didn’t have the parts perhaps I could have not have drained and disassembled my bed. However, even better would have been if the system did not call me Thursday night with a deliver time. Surely on Thursday night surely the system should know that not enough items were in warehouse right?

This message that said my delivery was cancelled provided me with a different toll free number that started with 888 instead of 800 and said I should call before 9pm. So I called this number around 2pm on Friday. The person on the line told me same thing as the person from the 800 number. No new delivery estimate was currently available and that the warehouse would call me tomorrow with more details.

So Friday night came and I had no bed. My waterbed was all drained and disassembled. Setting the water bed back up wasn’t really an option. I’m not sure how much you know about waterbeds but besides talking hours to drain and disassemble; waterbeds take a similar amount of time to put back. And they take about 24 to 36 hours to heat up to a temperature that you can sleep on without freezing. So I had no bed.

Luckily I had an old futon couch. I removed the futon from that couch and used it for something to sleep on for the night.

Saturday came and went. Again I tried to stay around the house in case someone would call me. No one did.

Finally on Sunday a call came again saying I should call the 888 number again before 9pm. So I called them. This person asked me to hold while they called the warehouse to see what the status was. The person told me that the bed and box spring were at the warehouse but the frame had not arrived yet and no new delivery date was available. I asked the person on the phone to have the bed delivered as soon as possible since I was home on vacation and said it was ok for the frame to just be left in my driveway at a later date when it came in. A frame isn’t vital or valuable and isn’t going to be damaged sitting out in the cold. The person said since they were on the same ticket they would have to be delivered together. The person didn’t offer to call the warehouse this time. The person didn’t offer to split the ticket. They just said that they would make a note in the system for the warehouse. Of course I knew that wasn’t going to be any help. So far no one offered to do anything to help except that third person on the 800 number who could only send me a gift card for $50 (supposedly sent, we will see if that arrives). So my bed was in the warehouse but not being delivered because of ~$80 frame while I am stuck with no bed sleeping on a futon. I thought about asking the person if they could just cancel the frame so the delivery could happen but I was afraid that might mess things up even worse so I didn’t ask.

Many days passed. Finally yesterday Wednesday Jan 2nd the automated system called again saying I should call the 888 number before 9pm central time. So I called again. I must say whether I called the 800 number or the 888 number I was never on hold. I was instantly connected to a live person. Pretty amazing in this day and age. The person who answered said a new delivery date can finally be scheduled. They said the first available day would be Wed January 9th. I said ok. Thanks and the call ended. The new date was a week and half later than my original date of 12/28. Two and half weeks later than the first date I could have picked 12/21 when I placed the order at the store.

I thought about a minute and decided to call back to see if there was any way to get it sooner. The thought of another week sleeping on this hard futon on my bedroom store was not appealing.

I again got immediate connected to someone, I explain how my original date had been cancelled and how I was sleeping on the floor and if there was any way I could get the bed sooner. The person said there was nothing sooner. I asked if there was anything they could do to try to get it to me sooner. They said, Jan 9th was the soonest. I asked if they had a number I could call at the warehouse to see if it could be delivered sooner. They said Jan 9th was the soonest. I was if there was only there who could help me get it sooner. They said Jan 9th was the soonest. So we ended the call.

During all these calls I was quite civil. Never swore, never raised my voice. Just asking if someone could help get my bed to me while I was still on vacation (Sunday’s call) and if someone could help me get my bed less time than a week. No one offered to help. No one offered to try to escalate. It certainly seems like no higher priority if given to customers who had their delivery time cancelled involuntarily.

I doubt I will get any help from this email attempt but perhaps it can be forwarded to upper management within Sears and perhaps some of the following suggestion can be looked into to improve your business processes?

1) Don’t call the night before the delivery date providing a delivery window if it is going to be cancelled. This would be the biggest help. In addition to saving the 2 hours I wasted waiting for the delivery, It would have same the time calling to check on the status and I would still have a bed to sleep on while I wait a 1.5 weeks for my new delivery date.

2) Some priority should be given to Sear’s cancelled appointments. Leave open a couple of slots in each delivery day for special situations. Get us into the delivery cycle sooner. The 1 week delay from the scheduling on Jan 3rd to the delivery date of Jan 9th is the same as the 6 day window I was given in the store, purchased Dec 15th with soonest delivery of Dec 21st. Obviously no special priority is given to me the customer who had their deliver cancelled through no fault of the customer.

3) Escalation of issues. Again while I’m happy I was instantly connected to a live person 6 times I called the 800 and 888 numbers, I was unable that anyone there could escalate my issue. Surely there is someone somewhere that’s empowered to do more? I realize the Sears is probably utilizing a just in time delivery model with its vendor to limit warehouse storage space, but there was 13 days between when I ordered and when delivery was expected. There was plenty of time to get the item there in time and plenty of time to know that they were not going to make it. If it was just a matter of a 1 day or 2 day delay how come It wasn’t until 4 business days later they should schedule my delivery. And the person on Sunday said my bed was in your warehouse. So its going to sit there 10 days longer than it needs to because of a ~$80 item? If warehouse space is so valuable I would think that your company would be better served delivering my bed on Monday Dec 31st and then just dropping the frame in the drive way a week or 2 later when it comes in. Better for you. Better for me.

It would have been nice if there was some flexibility on the Sears corporation side of this whole thing. I’ve been very flexible. I’ve been very nice. But since the mess up was because of Sears and/or its vendor I would have thought your company would have been more willing to try to make things up to your customers.
January 8th came and again, I got the automated phone message saying that my bed would be delivered the next morning between 9 and 11 am. Then January 9th came and I got a call right around 9am. This time an actual person called me. They said the mattress was damaged and my delivery has to be cancelled while they request a new bed from the manufacturer. My new delivery date is January 16th.

Answers

3 answers

1. Update: Despite sending two emails to the email address list, I received neither an email or phone follow up. My bed did finally arrive. 1 month and 1 day after I purchased it.

The third scheduled delivery was not cancelled. The delivery arrived outside of the estimate delivery window of 1pm to 3pm. They arrive 15 minutes early at 12:45pm. Luckily I had left work early was at home well before my delivery window. If I had not been home until 1pm would they have waited? Come back later in the window? Or could I have been sleeping on the floor for another week....

2. SleepingOnFloor, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a disappointing experience with your mattress purchase. It is frustrating enough to encounter any trouble with your order, much less having the mattress order cancelled and rescheduled. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the mattress was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (SleepOnFloor) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Social Media Moderator

3. Hi SleepingonFloor! Thanks so much for this insightful and constructive post. I am so sorry to hear of all the hassle you have been through trying to get your new bed. We can get this escalated for you, no problem! Please check back on this thread soon from a SearsCares team member-they will be able to make sure you get that bed.