Question

How do I remove rust from existing tools, saws, axes, screwdrivers, is there a chemical I can apply?

Answers

2 answers

1. Hello thomas261,

I would like to answer your question about removing existing rust off of hand tools. There are a lot of different methods, some use harsh chemicals, some use abrasives, but the one that I prefer is to use WD-40 and Scotch-Brite pads. Be sure to perform this task in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors and wear safety glasses and gloves. Use an old shallow baking pan, or some other suitable container to prevent a mess on the floor. Apply a liberal amount of WD-40 to a Scotch-Brite pad. Scrub the tool until the oxidation has been removed and then wipe the tool down with a fresh, thin coat of oil and put it away. You may also want to treat it with a spray type wax based rust inhibitor, like Boeshield T-9, to prevent oily residue from getting in your tool box, on your hands, and all over what you are working on. If the rust is extremely bad, you may need to use Naval Jelly, an acid based rust remover, or another good product, Evapo-Rust. These have a much more reactive nature, so be sure to carefully read the instructions that came with the product!

JerryTech

2. Hi thomas261! Let me see if the Tools expert has a suggestion for this. Check back soon for a reply.