Question

How do they get away with cancelling an order just because they raised the price

I bought 4 tool storage chests and they used a bogus excuse the item was of stock. And then raised the price $50!!!

Answers

12 answers

• San Jose, CA

WELCOME to the world of the Internet, where almost everything is subject to really FAST change.

I got coupons that were valid for maybe 2 days and have only 2 days left to spend my Rewards Points, before they go POOF.

The good news is you can find a lot of esoteric stuff on the Internet, too.

Like a Craftsman 50th Anniversary golden socket - ashtray!

Who knew?

That bad boy wasn't even listed in the catalog.

And, now... looks like there may be "no paper catalog" coming out next year.

POOF...

1. The problem with the internet is that it is not realtime people have to actually edit the stuff online while people are still submitting orders.

1. File a complaint with the state consumer protection agency. Get the actions on record. Seeing as this appears to be a standard procedure for Sears, the more complaints that there are, the more likely action will be taken against them

1. In response to BigMike4511

It has nothing to do with some sort of underlying scam. it is called supply chain. and every retailer does it. Even Amazon. As for online orders being cancelled. Something as simple as incorrect inventory counts could lead to cancellations, which is why I recommend trying to do business at the store. Online simply submits an order to a distribution facility, if that distribution center has no more of the item in stock, Sears has to cancel the order as Sears cannot edit or reroute a submitted order. Not to point fingers but a competitor by the intials BB is the king of that from what I have heard.

2. In response to BigMike4511

When a company accepts an order for an item, and unilaterally cancels the order saying that the item is not available the customer is likely to be upset.When after the order is canceled, the item is listed for sale again at a higher price, the customer is going to assume that the cancellation was done because the company did not want to honor their advertised price.

If the item is temporarily out of stock, the customer, not the company, should have the option of canceling the order, or waiting for a new shipment to come in. The price that the customer paid should be honored.

You say that Sears has no way to edit or reroute an order. I say that it is more than possible to do so, if the system does not allow it then that is a major flaw in the system.

Rather than putting the customer first, Sears is just leaving the customer feeling as if they have been taken advantage of. Do you think a customer who has an order canceled, only to see the same item available at a higher price is just going to happily pay the higher price? Or is it more likely that they decide to shop elsewhere, and not return to the company that has treated them with disrespect?

Your reference to "BB" is telling, in that if we are thinking of the same company, they have had some serious losses. They, like Sears, have many empty spaces in their lots, while other retailers seem to have a lot more business.

3. In response to BigMike4511

It seems as though Sears will resort to almost any strategy to obtain a little more cash.
      Earlier in the year I had a female relative order a vacuum cleaner from Sears (yes Sears not a third part vendor), against my advice I might add. Said cleaner was 'on special' ($40.00 off). Cleaner was delivered as and when stated (Sears can apparently sometimes get it right). Relative gets her bill and is charged the full price, she says she called 'customer service', the explanation given was, that although the order was placed before the 'special' expired it had not been processed until afterwards, admittedly only one day out. She says she was assured that the error would be corrected. Regular readers to this site can likely guess the rest. Error never corrected, multiple calls to 'customer service' all promising action, no calls returned as promised. Only action taken seems to have been relative 'cutting up her Sears Card' (whatever that may mean).
      Said relative will still not believe Sears are as bad as I say they are, old loyalties appear to die very hard.

2. Gearman555,
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a disappointing experience with your online order. It is frustrating enough to encounter any trouble with your order, much less the order was cancelled and the price of the storage chests had changed. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the order was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (Gearman555) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Social Media Moderator

3. Hi Gearman555! Thanks for posting your question today. We can have a SearsCares team member check on this for you, if you would like. Check back on this thread shortly for a reply. They will do what they can to assist.

• San Jose, CA

You should have been at the store when about ALL the large storage units JUMPED in price by about 100 dollars because of an increase in the cost of "rolled steel".

It seems the memo, informing the stores of the change, was stuck in someone's "In-Basket".

Fastest relabel of almost an entire section of displays I've ever seen!

I'm not aware of any order having been cancelled in this example of price changes.

And, at the time, stores and the Internet were not too closely tied with one another.

Simpler days. Calmer times... More patient people (comparatively).

1. Orders are cancelled if there is non left in stock at the time the order is received, unless delayed time of arrival was priorly communicated.

4. Some sales are limited quantity, like some Black Friday deals. The retailer actually runs out of stock then orders a new batch. Some sales are sometimes geared towards how much inventory needs to be cleared before a new order for inventory is placed.

1. In response to Civsci

Then should the advertisement not say that quantities are limited or something similar?

See More