Question

How to make a yummy & good looking omelet?

I am horrible at making omelets. I have read how-to articles, watched youtube videos, the works and still can’t master the technique. Perhaps I need a better pan or new tool to help?

Any omelet experts out there? All suggestions/advice on making the perfect omelet would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

9 answers

1. Hi Laurel!

Preparing your ingredients in advance, using the right equipment, and a little practice will help you meet your goal of making a yummy and good looking omelet!

In a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon of cold water, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. The water promotes steam, making the eggs fluffy. Set this bowl aside.

In another bowl, gather your ingredients for filling. I like grated cheese, chopped ham, and/or sautéed vegetables. It is important that your filling ingredients be cooked and dry. If they are raw, they will taste raw in the omelet. If they are wet, they will make your omelet soggy. Omelets are a great way to use leftover cooked vegetables.

Time to cook! Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, swirl it to coat the pan. Add your egg mixture to the pan. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the eggs from the edge of the pan into the middle starting at 12 o'clock, then 3 o'clock, then 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Make sense? Continuing to gently pull the cooked egg away from the edges of the pan, tilt the pan to get the uncooked egg onto the pan, filling in the gaps. When it all starts to firm up, let it sit for a minute to set.

When the bottom appears set (use your spatula to peek from the side), spread your filling on one half of the eggs. Then in one motion, use your rubber spatula to fold the omelet in half, creating a half moon shape. Allow the omelet to cook for a bit, allowing the cheese to melt and filling to heat. I find it easiest to slide the omelet from the pan right onto a plate.

Let me know how it goes!

1. In response to Kristen_Desmond

You totally made my day, Kristen! Thank you so much for the step by step instructions. I think I can follow these steps and in time get the hang of making a decent omelet! Thanks so much for all the detail, especially regarding raw and wet veggies! I am guilty of adding both raw and wet veggies to my omelets.

I will definitely try this method tomorrow morning and report back to the community! Wish me luck. :)

2. In response to Kristen_Desmond

I do pretty good at making some awesome omelets, but what I did not know was to add a little water. From now on I will be doing so!

My family loves ham and cheese omelets for which I make once a month for them.

Thank you Kristen your step by step instruction is wonderful! ;-)

3. In response to Kristen_Desmond

That is really helpful! I will have to try it. My omlettes always end up as "eggs with stuff mixed in". That is my one cooking fail that I have.

4. In response to Kristen_Desmond

I am happy to report that I took your advice Kristen and made a decent omelet this week! I still need to practice a bit more and probably need a better omelet pan, but I am making progress! :)

Thanks for the awesome detailed suggestions!

2. Hi laurel! The simplest way ( cheating) is to finish the omelet under the broiler, then fold it in half or buy one of those split omelet pans. I use a spatula to pick up the edge of the omelet while cooking and let the uncooked eggs run underneath which is traditional style but folding is trickier, good luck!

1. In response to madgolfer

Ahhh, I hadn't thought of using the broiler. Now that's a good idea! I definitely struggle with the folding part of the process but hopefully as I practice more I will get the hang of it. Thanks for sharing the broiler suggestion! I will certainly give that a try as well.

3. This is a GREAT question! I would love to see if anyone out there is a pro. I just scramble them with whatever veggies and cheese I have in the house, because I can't do the omelet! I know the key to making eggs, whether omelet or scrambled is to not overcook them-that is one thing I've learned.

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

There is nothing worse than overcooked eggs, Julie. I totally agree!

See More