Question

I am replacing my television in my living room. What size is a normal size screen? I live in a one bedroom apt and do not want anything mounted on the wall.

Answers

2 answers

1. Hello edutton3,

That is a good question. I suggest that you measure the distance from where you will most likely be sitting in your living room to the area that you will most likely have the television set up. The televisions are very thin, so you can count on it being anywhere from 6 inches from the wall to a foot or less. Visit your local Sears store and stand at about the same distance to see what you like best. I have a 46 inch LCD and sit about 12 feet from it and find it just fine. This is totally subjective to the person who will be watching it. As far as mounting options, the TV's come with a stand and there are a lot of different options for setting it up that do not include mounting it to a wall. Your Sears sales person will be able to guide you in the right direction with that. I hope that this has helped you, please let us know if you have any further questions.

JerryTech

1. In response to SHC-JerryC

Jerry is right, it's totally subjective.

One typical "rule of thumb" that might help is that you'll want to be back 3 feet for every 1 foot of screen length (corner to corner). So a 24" television would seat you back about 6 feet. But more importantly, you'll want to be able to view the whole picture without having to move your eyes constantly. If you sit too close (or have too big of a screen), then your eyes will suffer fatigue before the end of a movie, and your viewing experience won't be as great as it would be otherwise. Sears salespeople are super helpful too, so get their advice also!

See More