Question

i bought a stove and i just notice it takes a min 20amp breaker but i have olny 15amp. will it still be okay?

Answers

6 answers

1. You will need to update the breaker to a 20 amp breaker. While some functions might work the breaker will trip during a cycle. You will need a electrician to check the wiring and confirm a 20 amp breaker can be installed. Most all ranges will have the 20 amp requirement so a different range will not likley help. The breaker will need to be updated and changed to a 20 amp.

2. If the circuit isn't strong enough, it will flip the breaker whenever it draws more than 15 amps (which may be extremely often, depending on how often you cook). It is never recommended to run an appliance on less amperage than it requires. I'd strongly recommend having the breaker replaced with a 20 amp.

1. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

Depending on the wiring in the house, this may not be a good idea. If the wiring is not able to handle the extra load, it is quite possible that it could be a fire hazard.

If the stove is using a 20 amp breaker, it most likely is a gas stove and the electricity is used for lights, ignition and controls such as the gas to the oven and any timers.

If the stove does not pop the breaker, I would not worry about it, just make sure that there not any other heavy draw on the circuit.

2. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

This would be a good time to toggle all the breakers, if the breaker has any corrosion it may not pop if overloaded.

3. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

To madgolfer
      Whilst 'toggling'the breakers is better than nothing I have long advocated some cheap, easy method of actually 'testing' all breakers as actual tests on a great many, not just the ones in domestic panels give alarming, at least to me, results. Just wait until you see a breaker of 1,000 amps, or more, burn out on test, all the tripping circuits have worked but the actual contacts have welded themselves together and only separate when the current going through them melts some part of the contact. Beats 4th July fireworks!

4. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

On the domestic side, I have seen rainwater travel down the trunk line and cause arcing on the circuit breaker panel sufficient to spark a house fire. We take these breaker boards for granted til there's a problem.

See More