Question

I cannot afford the delivery fee for a replacement mattress. How can I stop the fee from being applied? Sealy cannot help me and told me to talk to Sears.

When I moved to my apartment in Jersey City in March, my uncle, a rep for Sealy at Boscov’s, said that I should invest in a Sealy mattress. I did, and it was lovely, until a valley grew in the center of the bed. My uncle recommended talking to Sears, the company I bought the mattress from, about getting a replacement.

To start with, the process of filing a mattress warranty claim was not made to be convenient for the customer. There were no mattress inspectors in the area who could verify that the mattress did indeed need to be replaced (even though the Sears I bought the mattress from is in Newport, a five-minute drive away from my apartment). When no local inspectors are available, the burden is on the customer to prove they have a valid issue. I had to get two friends to help me take my mattress off of its boxspring and foundation in order to take pictures. If I had been an older woman with no family nearby, I would have been unable to complete the instructions for filing a claim. It took two men from Sears to deliver my mattress. How Sears can expect a small woman to complete this process by herself is a mystery to me.

After taking pictures of the mattress, the box spring, and the valley in the center of the mattress, I was contacted by Sears to begin the process of ordering a replacement mattress. I’m happy to be receiving a Sealy replacement from Sears, but I was shocked to find out that I would be footing the bill for them to deliver the new mattress. I would not need a replacement if the mattress they sold me was fine from the get-go.

What makes the prospect of paying $200 for the delivery of my new mattress particular painful is the fact that I am $75 away from paying off the cost of the original mattress on my Sears card, and I won’t have time to pay off that $200 by the time the interest-free period comes to an end in October. I pay $800 a month in rent, $700 in bills, and the remaining funds are put towards buying groceries and putting money away in my nephew’s college savings account. I have no additional funds to cover this new cost. Even worse, if the government shutdown occurs, I will not have work, as I am an employee for Peace Corps in New York. In other words, I really can’t afford the delivery fee. If I had used a non-Sears credit card, I would have asked them to return the mattress and I would have used the credit toward a mattress at another company. But I can’t, and now it will cost me $200 plus interest, which I don’t have.

I am very disappointed by the outcome of my situation. At this point, I don’t think I will be doing business with Sears or Sealy again. My uncle feels particularly bad as well, since he encouraged me to invest in a brand is proud to offer his customers. If your company offered free delivery of replacement mattresses, I would be more excited about the prospect of having no more back pain and sleeping on what feels like a cloud. I’m already frightened by the prospect of not having a paycheck as the result of a government shutdown. Having to worry about $200 that I will have to take out of my grocery money, or defaulting on my Sears card if I don’t have money to pay the bill, just adds to that fear and anxiety.

Answers

3 answers

1. Dear margaretbridget,

We appreciate you for taking the time to reach out to us, and informing us of this situation. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’re sorry that such information provided to you has caused you the frustrations of fear and anxiety. We’d like to help you by looking into these charges and provide you our assistance to make sure this issue is resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (margaretbridget), your phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward talking to you soon.

Thanks,
    Edwin C.
    MySears Community Moderator

2. Hi there, margaretbridget! Welcome to MySears! I am sorry to hear you have had issues with your mattress. We can get you in touch with SearsCares, the customer service escalation team, if you would like to discuss that delivery charge.

A team member will reply here shortly. Once they do, I will let you know via email so you can be connected with them.

Thanks!

3. Who told you the delivery fee was $200.00.

Ask for a breakdown of that $200.00. This looks like they might be charging you a restocking fee or something like that. You might ask the store what standard delivery fee, here in WA I believe it is $69.00.

See More