Question

I found the receipt and we paid $1399 (plus tax/delivery) for our washing machine on 08/03/2009. We had it repaired a couple of years ago and spent just under $300. The service man came out today to tell us it is the main control board and to replace it will be $692.49 — a thousand dollars in repair bills on a machine that is less than 4 years old! I called Sears Customer Care and was told that since I didn’t buy an extended warranty – there is nothing they can/will do. The repair bill is more than most washing machines cost! We have a matching set that stacks – so our choice is to either replace both or pay to repair the washer. Plus — Sears only gives a 90 day warranty on the repair and new parts. STAND BY YOUR PRODUCTS!

Answers

3 answers

1. Dear Washer2009,

We are very sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing with your washing machine. We would like the opportunity to speak with you and offer options to you to resolve your concerns. Our hope is we may turn your negative thoughts of us around so that you are a happy and loyal Sears customer.

Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Washer2009), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com – Thanks, Dee.
    Thank you,

Dee M.
    MySears Community Moderator

• San Jose, CA

The warranty that comes "free" with your machine is a basic Manufacturer's Defect warranty that is designed to shield customers from the inevitable small percentage of lemons that make it through a factory's Quality Control process.

Item that break or malfunction through wear and tear or an outside of the machine power line surge are NOT covered by a Defect Warranty.

Did you have your washing machine's 3-wire plug connected to a surge protector?

A machine that has a computer control panel or "motherboard" and that is plugged into household current can profit greatly with the addition of an under ten dollar surge protector.

The computer control panels are one of THE most expensive parts to replace in a machine.

They're specialized to your model machine, made by one company and once broken, they can rarely be repaired.

This is where the Protection Agreement offered by Sears is a very good thing to have.

2. Hi there! Welcome to the MySears Community. I am so sorry to hear you have had such issues you with your washer. If you would like, you can speak to the SearsCares team to discuss the problems you have had further. They will reach out to you right here on this thread requesting more information so they can help.

Check back soon for a reply! Thanks!