Question

I have a 1/2 horsepower garage door opener and want to know if I should get a bigger one. My door has grinded off the gear. Replaced it and a month later it grinded the new one off.

Answers

3 answers

• San Jose, CA

The old openers were a whopping 1/3 HP. Now, the standard size is 1/2 HP. And, the two openers you've described were powerful enough to grind their plastic sprockets!

I'd say your door is not being neutrally balanced by its springs or one of more rollers may be "dragging".

Have the door fixed and then see how awesome your opener is.

Good luck.

1. Hello machelep. There are more powerful garage door openers available but that may not fix the problem that you seem to be describing. You may have a problem with the garage door travel rails or the spring tension. Pull the emergency release and check the travel of the door up and down when it is disconnected from the garage door trolley. If you detect excessive resistance or the door binds up at some point in the up/down travel, then you will probably need to have a service provider repair the garage door. If the garage door is working properly and is adjusted properly, then a 1/2 horsepower or 3/4 horsepower garage door opener should work without any problems on most garage doors. If you need to have a service provider examine the garage door, then you can visit this ServiceLive website for a pre-screened technician: http://www.servicelive.com/MarketFrontend/homepage.action

2. Hi machelep! Thanks for posting your question! I am going to pass this along to the Garage Door experts-I am sure they will have a suggestion for you, along with giving basic information about choosing the right garage door opener for your needs. Check back soon for a reply!