Question

I have a Craftsman riding mower model 917288031 that won’t start. I was working fine, but now nothing happens when turning the key. No headlights. Replaced battery – its fully charged. What do I need to do?

Answers

8 answers

1. Here is a link for the parts list diagram for the tractor: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/Model-917288031/0247/1509200?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=917288031

The "Schematic diagram" page shows the wiring for the safety switches. The brake switch should be under the chassis next to the brake pedal. The clutch switch should be under the chassis as well. Follow the wires shown in the schematic and you can locate the switches.

2. If the lights wil lnot work with a new charged battery then I suggest you first check the fuse located behine the dashboard. The fuse is a 20 amp automotive style fuse. I hope this helps and good luck.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your help. I checked the fuse - it has 0 ohms resistance, so it's good. I can jump across the solenoid and the engine turns. Does this indicate a bad solenoid?

3. Hi Steve, sounds like the fuse is blown. Check for a blade-type 20 amp automobile style fuse under the hood about where your right knee would be if you were sitting on the tractor.

1. In response to madgolfer

Thank you for your advice. I checked the fuse - it has 0 ohms resistance, so it's good. I can jump across the solenoid and the engine turns. Does this indicate a bad solenoid?

2. In response to madgolfer

Steve, if the meter is showing 000 in the display, then the fuse is ok but if there is nothing in the display, then the fuse is open. Jumping the solenoid could indicate it's defective but it also by-passes the safety switches. Another check you can make will be to check the white wire on the solenoid while cranking the engine. If there is 12 volts there, next check to see if there is voltage coming out of the solenoid. If there is no voltage there, then the solenoid has failed. I hope this will help you.

3. In response to madgolfer

Hi Scott - I replaced the solenoid; still nothing. Is there a way to check the safety switches or should I just replace them? I'm not sure where the safety switches are - can you give me a clue?

I appreciate your help!

4. In response to madgolfer

Hi Steve_in_MS!

I have forwarded your concerns onto our Experts so that they can help you further in trouble shooting this issue with you.

Thank you for reaching out!

See More