Question

• TKV
    • Citrus Heights, CA

I have a Craftsman Weed Wacker 26.2 cc/17″ wide cut. Model # 358-796130, Serial No. B3480159. How do I change the fuel lines?

Answers

5 answers

1. Hello TKV. I agree with AdamO's advice regarding those fuel lines. If you are replacing them yourself, carefully note the original routing of the fuel lines. Follow safe mechanical guidelines. Remove the spark plug and work in a ventilated area. You will need to fish the fuel filter/pick-up assembly out of the gas tank using a coat hanger or piece of wire. Pull that filter/pick-up assembly off of the end of that fuel line before pulling it out of the tank. Replacing the fuel lines is a repair that must be completed properly to prevent the potential of fire or injury. I you are not completely confident that you can properly complete this repair yourself, I recommend that you carry the weed wacker into your nearest Sears Repair Center or Sears Store and have a service technician install the new fuel lines.

• TKV
        • Citrus Heights, CA

In response to SHC-LyleW

Hello Lyle and Adam,

The problem is that the lines were already broken and don't have the routing. As far as taking it to Sears, I called but they want to charge $80 for something that for the person who knows what to do, probably would take 15-20 Min. Also I can buy a new one for that price.
      Any suggestion except buying a new one? ;-)

1. In response to SHC-LyleW

 TKV
      I will be happy to assist you. If the fuel lines were already broken and you cannot tell were they went I will try to explain the correct routing. The supply line in the fuel tank has the fuel filter attached to it. This line should be long enough so the fuel filter lies on the bottom of the fuel tank. The supply line comes from the tank directly to the carburetor. The return line connects to the other port on the carburetor and goes to the vacuum port on the primmer assembly. The there is a line that connects to the other port on the primer and goes back to the fuel tank. It just needs to be inserted into the tank about an inch. When it is corrected correctly, you will observe fuel coming from the tank through the supply line. Then out of the carburetor back the tank through the primer to the tank. This will happen when you push the primer. If it does not do this, the lines are not connected correctly. I did look up the model number and it looks like the unit is from the 80's and some of the parts for the unit are not available any longer. If you do not feel comfortable repairing this unit yourself I recommend considering a new unit. I would hate to see you pay the service fee and find out it needs a part that and not be ordered or have it repaired and it break again shortly after you get it back. A new unit will come with at least a one-year warranty but most have a two-year warranty. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Mark

2. Hi TKV,

Thank you for posting your question in the MySears Community!

I have referred your question to one of our Lawn and Garden Experts who would be happy to help provide you with tips on changing the fuel lines.

For future references in regards to your Craftsman Weed Wacker you can also visit Manage My Life and download a free owners manual by clicking here for this may help with any other issues that you might have.

Please check back periodically for a response back from one of our Experts!

Thank you!

• San Jose, CA

The FIRST step is to take lots of digital pictures of the old lines and their routing.

Once the two lines are pulled, it's a bad time to remember your short-term memory is not what it used to be.

See More