Question

I have a GE Spacemaker XL 1800 over range microwave. not heating all else working

trying to figure if makes more sense to buy new one (G.E. 1.9 CU FT OVER RANGE FOR $349.00 OR get old one fixed

Answers

5 answers

1. I have the exact same situation! Please tell what information I can provide you so I too can figure out what needs to be done the most economical way. MOdel JVM1330BW 002 manufactured 7/96. Serial MR9933435

1. In response to mkcolson

Hi mkcolson,

Welcome to the MySears Community!

I do believe you have provided the main information needed for one of our Sears Appliance Experts to help in giving you some informational tips.

Check back soon for a reply!

Thank you ;)

2. In response to mkcolson

Hello mkcolson. Since that microwave was manufactured in 1996, it will probably be more economical to replace it instead of having it repaired. The repair of internal components would likely cost about $150 in labor. The cost of parts will vary widely depending on the exact failure that is preventing the microwave from heating. Even if you fix that problem, there is a possibility that other components in the microwave would soon begin to fail. The average useful life for a microwave is about 10 years. After 10 years, it is not normally recommended to spend a significant amount of money on repairs. Microwaves are dangerous to service. I don't recommend that you attempt any do-it-yourself repairs on that product. I hope that this information helps. If you need further assistance, let us know.

2. Hello c.noble. In most situations, it is more economical to replace the microwave than to repair it. The cost of servicing the microwave usually approaches the same cost as buying a new one.

3. Hi c.noble! Welcome to the MySears Community! Can you let us know both the model number and about how old your microwave is? That can help both members and the Appliance Experts to offer a suggestion on whether to repair your microwave or not. If there is a good fix, the Appliance Experts will be let you know. Check back on this thread soon for a reply. Thanks!