Question

I have a Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator model 106.72132100 Purchased 03/2003. It has the feeezer on top and fridge on bottom. The ice machine suddenly stopped working however I used to put my hot tea in there to cool down and I think condensation may have caused a lot of ice buildup. I took feezer apart today and put blow dryer on all the excess buildup so all of that is melted however the ice machine is still not working. Do you have any ideas on how I can further troubleshoor or what the issue is? Like I said up until this week the machine was working now it stopped.

Answers

10 answers

1. Thank you for your question. I do not suspect the condensation from the hot tea is the problem. If the ice is built up only on the left and lower left areas then the water may be splashing out of the fill tube. The fix for this problem is to slip an a fill tube extension over the end of the fill tube. The fill tube extension is parts number 2203024 and would be available from SearsPartsDirect. If the frost is spread evenly across the entire evaporator then there may be a defrost problem. If the refrigerator is still under warranty then have a technician check the cause of the ice. I suspect ice has built up and blocked the water fill to the ice maker. I hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for using mySearscommunity.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Thanks Fred for your assistance. It actually was a condensation buildup which caused everything to freeze over once I took apart freezer and defrosted. The ice maker started to work after about 6 hours after I had plugged it in after I took apart. Thanks again and it is working correctly now.

2. In response to SHC-FredM

Hi Fred,

So I had resolved the ice issue and what I thought was condensation issue due to me putting hot tea in fridge. I have not been putting anything hot in fridge since I resolved ice maker issue but now there is a layer of frost on the back wall that I thought was due to hot tea but it isn't. Do you know what is causing this and how to resolve the issue? I have the freezer and the fridge setting at 3 so I know my feezer isn't on highest setting. Thanks.

Anthony

3. In response to SHC-FredM

Anthony, The thin layer of frost can indicate a door seal problem or a defrost problem. Does the freezer door seal seem to be good all around? You can check the defrost system yourself if you do not minde a little do-it-yourself. The defrost timer is located in the control box area of the refrigerator section. Check for a smll round plug that cac be pried out to access the defrost timer ****. with a straight screwdriver or even a dime you can turn the defrost timer **** till the unit clicks into defrost and the compressor shuts down. Open the freezer and listen for a sizzzle/pop noise from the defrost heater melting the ice. It you hear no sizzle then the defrost heater or thermostat is likely bad. I hope this helps. Let me know what you find.

4. In response to SHC-FredM

Fred, I screwed it until the compressor shut down but I didn't hear a sizzle/pop noise. What exactly is that pop noise and it is really audible? Is it working in the background now that compressor is off? The door seal on freezer is fine by the way.

On another note, will the compressor turn back on or will I have to manually do this with screwdriver.

After I had dried up the defrost last time and took care of ice maker issue the fridge and freezer were fine and the freezer kept items cold which it still does now but I think the layer of frost in back is causing the fridge to not keep the items as cold as I am used to on a level 3 setting. Would this frost issue cause fridge portion to not work?

Is replacing the defrost heater or thermostat difficult? It obviously cant be a thermostat issue because like I said previously, the freezer is keeping items frozen. If it bad wouldn't it not work at all?

Anthony

5. In response to SHC-FredM

When you turn the defrost timer dial till the compressor clicks off the unit enters the defrost cycle and the defrost heater should come on. When the heater comes on you should be able to hear the sizzle and pop sound caused by the element becomeing hot and melting the ice and frost. If you hear nothing then I suspect either the heater or defrost thermostat is the problem. The compressor should come back on in about 15-20 minutes. If it does not then you can turn the defrost timer **** till the compressor starts again. One way to confirm a defrost problem is to turn the refrigerator off over night with the freezer door open. This should allow any ice to melt. Once the ice is completly melted then the refrigerator and freezer should work for couple of days till the frost builds up again and blocks the air flow. Replacing the heater and defrost thermostat is not a difficult project. You need to be able to remove the rear panel of the freezer.

6. In response to SHC-FredM

Hello Fred,

I am going to try fix the frost buildup issue with my feeezer. Do you happen to know the exact part numbers of:

1. Defrost Heater
      2. Thermostat

Before I proceed to purchase these two items for the frost buildup is there anyway to find out ahead of time what the exact issue is and whether it truly is a defrost heater issue or a thermostat issue or both. Thank you for all your help.

Regards,

Anthony

7. In response to SHC-FredM

...and Fred, do you mind sharing a link to video on replacing the Defrost Heater as it seem more cumbersome than replacing the actual thermostat which looks easy. I have searched youtube and google but all I could find was replacing defrost heaters on different fridges. Do you have a video for my actual Kenmore or some type of step by step guide?

Thanks.

Anthony

2. Hi Anthonygr1980,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your ice machine.

I have escalated your concerns to our Sears Appliance Experts to see if they can help troubleshoot some options for you.

Once a response is posted I will be reaching out via email to you.

Thank you!

3. I forget to add that water comes out from the dispenser in the fridge but now it doesn't seem to be filling up in the ice maker reservoir now. Please help.