Question

I have a Kenmore electric range that shorted at the terminal block, specifically the black wire terminal. The neutral and red terminals are fine. What are the common causes of this type of short?

Answers

2 answers

1. Hello 98037guy. That type of failure is normally caused by a short circuit in the range. A broken bake or broil element may be shorting out to the metal cabinet inside the oven cavity. That is probably the most common cause of this failure. A wire could be shorting out to the metal cabinet. You could have a short in the electronic control circuit board inside the console. I recommend that you unplug the range and check the bake and broil elements for damage. You may need to replace one of those elements. I recommend that you have a service technician examine and repair the range in case you have additional wiring or component failure. You can schedule service by calling Sears at 1-800-469-4663 (1-800-4MY-HOME).

2. If the cord wasn't screwed on tightly enough, that could cause arcing, which could lead to a short. That's the problem I had with a stove that was delivered and installed by another company. Granted, the terminal block was also faulty because of the way it was attached, which prevented proper cord installation (and should have been noticed by the delivery crew and replaced), but that's what I've seen happen. I suppose liquid could also cause a problem. Perhaps rodents getting inside and urinating on it. If your home commonly has mice, that may be a possibility. Ranges are a popular place for them, as they have insulation, they're safe from predators (and us), it's dry, it's warm...and it's near a source of easy food: the kitchen!