Question

I have a Kenmore Elite 3 door fridge with bottom freezer and ice maker model # 795.78769.800 the freezer is filling with water and freezing till the ice builds up and starts spilling on floor. I assume the ice maker is leaking ? can you give me advice on how to trouble shoot and fix please

Answers

8 answers

1. I have had this problem for over four years. It freezes up after about six months. Once I realized the issue I decided not to keep paying a repair person or trying to do the job myself. Found a much easier way. Empty freezer, unplug and simply put a lawn blower in freezer unit just below the two vents at back of freezer. The warm air from the room will defrost the unit in about 20 minutes without having to take the panel off or fooling around with hot water or hair dryer. Dry freezer bottom, put drawers and food back in and repeat in another six months.

1. In response to Offkey1

Hi Offkey1,

Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you sharing how you have resolved this issue with us.

I have to admit, this is one is a new one on me, for I have used the blow dryer many of times growing up for my parents did not want to take the time to do it LOL

Thanks again for sharing! ;)

2. Water will leak into the freezer when the drain system freezes up. Every time the unit goes into a defrost cycle, water will run down into the freezer, instead of down the drain. To clear the drain, remove everything in the freezer, so the back panel can be removed. First disconnect power to the unit. With the panel removed, you will see the evaporator coil and directly under the coil is the drain trough (pan). The trough will probably be full of ice that will need to be removed. A hair dryer works well for this. Just be careful not to get it too hot. With the ice out of the trough, you will be able to see the drain hole, which will be plugged with ice. Use hot water to clear the drain hole. Keep working the hot water into the hole and wiping the excess water. This can take quite awhile, depending on how deep the ice is. This will need to be done until you get a good water flow down to the bottom drain pan. This can be difficult on this model because the complete drawer will also need to be removed.

1. In response to SHC-ScottD

Thanks you were right and I have it fixed now. I like to give you this link to a youtube video I found helpfull for doing this repair. It helped me and I thought it might help the next person as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNwcwOtCB70&feature=related

Mark

3. Hi MarkAllan! Thanks for posting your model number. Check back on this thread soon for a reply from the Appliance Team. I am sure they will have a suggestion or two for you!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Still no response from the "appliance team"? I have had this problem since I bought this pile of (rap Kenmore. I keep fixing it and a week later there is a new puddle in my new kitchen. Ruined my new hardwood floors. Sears says its out of warranty now so tough $hit for me.

This isn't a warranty issue it is a design flaw and should be recalled. It is a safety issue for slips and falls and electrocution hazard.

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

Hi Fitzgood! The Appliance Expert responded above, if you would like to give that a try.

I am also going to send your complaint on the to SearsCares team. They will reach out to you right here on this thread requesting more information to help.

Thanks!

3. In response to SHC-JulieK

Dear Fitzgood,

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment you are experiencing with your Sears appliance. We would like to speak with you to get a little more detailed information on the situation that you are currently experiencing with this unit to assist you with a proper resolution. At your convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Fitzgood), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com and we will be in touch. We look forward to speaking with you soon!

Thank you,

Misty H.
      MySears Community Moderator

See More