Question

I have a kenmore elite french door fridge- 5 yrs old, model #596.76603601. A couple of weeks ago, work up early morning to find both freezer and fridge stopped cooling.Lights, digital readouts continue to work fine. Husband thought he had left door open. We unplugged the appliance for about 3 hours and it started working again fine. We did start hearing a soft clicking sound every so often . Had sears service tech out who told us he could not tell us what the problem was since the fridge was now working. ($70 for that info) Now a week later the fridge did it again. We unplugged it and it started working again. Still hearing that clicking sound every hour or so. Coils, etc are all vacuumed out Need some trouble shooting ideas please.Hope I do not have to replace fridge. Thanks!

Answers

2 answers

1. Thank you for your question. It is amazing how things work when the technician is standing in front of the appliance. From the descripiton of the problem I suspect the clicking you hear is the overload tripping when the compressor is trying to start. This usually means the compressor is bad or the start relay is bad. The relay is a repairable problem but the compressor usually means replacing the refrigerator. Only a technician or someone with a started box can check the compressor directly and determine the problem. When the unit stops working again and you hear the clicking remove the rear covering and see if the compressor is very hot and if you can determine the source of the clicking.

2. Hi ladyintexas!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

I would be happy to escalate to have one of our Sears Appliance Experts see if they can help by providing some tips in hopes of fixing this issue.

Once a response is provided I will be contacting you via email.

Thank you!

See More