Question

I HAVE A KENMORE FRIDG WITH MOLD FORMING INSIDE THE DOORS BOTH SEALS WERE REPLACED ANY IDEAS.I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY FOR THIS THINK AND I AM NOT HAPPY.

THIS UNIT IS ONLY 2 YEARS OLD IT IS NOW A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!!!!!
I HAVE CALLED SEARS BUT GOT NOTHING FROM THEM.

Answers

3 answers

• San Jose, CA

That mold cleaning post sounds similar to tools that are subject to rusting. First you have to remove the rust, then get the tool out of the environment that makes the tool subject to rust and finally do follow ups to make sure the rust stays away - like putting on a thin coat of oil, using a slightly oily shop rag, to inhibit future rust formation.

I really liked the explanation of how to thoroughly clean the offending mold away from the surfaces and gaskets of the fridge.

1. Hi beachbum337,

Mold is hard to get rid of once it is on the door seals. Replacing the gaskets will not always remove the mold. Without knowing the model of the refrigerator, there is a problem with door gaskets sealing in the area where the mullion is located. In a side by side or trio, this is the common surface that runs vertically between the freezer section and the fresh food section. This area has heat to keep moisture from forming between the doors. Top mounts have a horizontal mullion that is also heated. Mold seeks MOISTURE, WARMTH, and FOOD, and all three conditions are necessary for it to grow. The problem is getting rid of mold; simply replacing the door gaskets will not solve the mold problem. Mold must be cleaned up, and here are some tips or tricks.

Here is the tip: Clean refrigerator drip pans regularly according to the manufacturer's instructions. If your refrigerator and freezer doors do not seal properly, moisture can build up and mold can grow there. Remove any mold on the door gaskets and replace faulty gaskets.

I know 2 ways to clean the mold from your refrigerator
    Hydrogen Peroxide Method
    You will need Hydrogen peroxide, a plastic spray bottle, some soft cloth and some cotton swabs.
    You will begin by cleaning the area as normal to remove as much dirt as possible. Fill the spray bottle with undiluted hydrogen peroxide and spray the affected areas. Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe the residue away with a clean cloth. Use the cotton to get into the creases and nooks of the door gasket. Repeat if necessary. When the black stains are removed, clean with a household cleaner, to remove the hydrogen peroxide residue.

Next is the Bleach Method, I recommend this way.
    You will need a small bucket, bleach, water, a spray bottle, some soft cloths, cotton swabs, and some lubricant, like Vaseline.
    Wipe the area down to clean as much as possible; do not forget behind the gaskets. In the small bucket combine one cup bleach and two cups water and funnel into the spray bottle, and shake well. Apply the solution to the affected area and let it soak for 5 minutes. Wipe away the excess bleach using the soft cloth. Use the cotton swabs the get into the creases and nooks of the door and the door gasket. Repeat the process only until the mold stain is gone. Clean the area with a mild household cleaner and wipe away the excess. Use the lubricant to wipe on the door gaskets to keep them pliable. Clean the mullion area using the same bleach solution.

This will help you rid the mold problem you are having with your refrigerator.

2. Hi beachbum337! Looks like a SearsCares team member replied to a post you submitted a couple of days ago with an offer to assist.

Copy and paste this link to your browser bar to view it:

https://www.sears.com/community/questions/i-had-a-sears-repairman-intall-new-door-seals-on-my-kenmore-fridge-still-have-mold-issue-inside-the-door-is-there-any-other-fixes-for-this-this-kenmore-has-got-to-be-the-biggest-piece-of-junk-glad-i/

Thanks!