Question

I have a Kenmore Gas Range, model number 790.7231 can I self-clean the stove top grates? The grates have little legs that they rest on and I don’t know what material they are made of and if they will melt during the self-clean cycle.

Answers

5 answers

1. Fred is right. Don't put the grates in the oven. Grates and burner caps can be cleaned with Gas Grate Cleaner, sold at every Sears store.

2. The stove top grates are not meant to be cleaned in the self clean cycle. The temperature in the self clean cycle is so extreme the grates/finish may be damage. The best way to clean the grates is in the high temp cycle of your dishwasher. You can also use a non abrasive cleaner to manualy clean the grates. Be sure to let the grates completely cool before cleaning.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Darn! Wished I had seen this earlier. Had read somewhere else that putting the stove top grates in the self clean cycle would clean them. I did that and now all the black coating came off and they are a different color and dull (like almost a burn orangish). Trying to figure out if I can save them by using a stove/food save/high temp type paint. They are old and I had debated whether to just buy new ones, but would like to save them and redo if I can. We plan to remodel our kitchen in a few years and that likely will mean a new stove top. Any specific suggestions at this point?

2. In response to SHC-FredM

Hello mommykinz. I am not aware of any high temperature paint that would work to restore the color to those grates. You can try cleaning them with a specific grate cleaner designed for those components. It is part number 316119700. You can order that part from SearsPartsDirect.com. Cleaning the grates may fix your problem until you replace the range. The only other solution is to replace the grates.

3. Hi jockershmoke,

Thank you for joining the MySears Community and posting your question!

This is a great question for which one of our Sears Appliance Experts can answer for you. If you can please check back periodically today our Expert will leave a response in regards to your question.

Thank you!

See More