Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model #106.44252401 and the refrigerator works for 1 hour, then stops for only 5 to 10 minutes, then restarts again. The temperature controller level is set at 1, but the measured temperature in the freezer is as low as -20 F. What is the problem? How much will it cost to be repaired? It was purchased in 2005. Thanks!

Answers

8 answers

1. Lucyh321, this would indicate the thermostat is out of calibration and will need to be replaced. The thermostat # 2315562 sells for $66.40 and is available at Sears PartsDirect. To get an estimate on the repair, you can call 1-800-469-4663 and someone there should be able to help you.

1. In response to SHC-ScottD

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply. I have another question before I change the the thermostat. I noted that the condenser is not hot to the touch, but the freezer temperature is very low (-20F) and the refrigerator works a long time. Is this also owing to the problem of the thermostat? Thanks

2. In response to SHC-ScottD

The condenser does not have to be hot to the touch, only warm. The condenser should be fine. It normally will only be warm, not hot. When a condenser causes a problem, the unit will stop cooling. I hope this helps you.

3. In response to SHC-ScottD

The condenser is indeed only warm, as you said. We will try changing the thermostat and see if that fixes anything. I'll let you know if it works, thanks for your help.

4. In response to SHC-ScottD

Thanks SHC-ScottD: The thermostat I ordered hasn’t arrived yet, but I wanted to try raising the freezer temperature to above -20F so I disconnected the power for 2 hours, and then reconnected the power.
      The refrigerator didn’t start running immediately, the defrost system started working, and I was able to see defrosted water drip from the pipe to the tray under the refrigerator.
      When the defrost system stopped working, the refrigerator started running for 40 minutes, then stopped 10 minutes. During this time, the thermometer showed that the temperature in the freezer was -10F. After that, the refrigerator ran for 12 minutes and then stop 10 minutes, every 22 minutes is a cycle. After 24 hours, the freezer temperature dropped from -10F to -19F, with the temperature controller level still set at 1 (lowest setting). After 36 hours, the defrost system started working again, and the temperature in freezer went back to -10F. However, once the cooling cycle started, the temperature kept dropping.
      I also have some questions:
      1.Would 22 minutes be considered a normal cycle for a refrigerator?
      2.Why does the freezer temperature keep drop?
      3.Is it the thermostat that is malfunctioning, or the defrost system?

5. In response to SHC-ScottD

Hi lucyh321, Scotty has provide you the best answer. The thermostat is what turns the compressor on. The freezer tempeture is from the same thermostat and it is faulty and will keep running the compressor cooling, and cooling.
      When the thermostat is replaced the refrigerator will cool correctly. Good Luck. Bill

6. In response to SHC-ScottD

Thanks SHC-ScottD and SHC-BillW:
      After reinstalled the new thermostat, the temperature of the freezer and the fridge went back to normal. When the refrigerator temperature had stabilized for 36 hours, I noticed that the refrigerator was running on short cycles: the refrigerator ran for 5 minutes and then stop 8 minutes, so 13 minutes per cycle. I’m wondering if the 8 minutes of off-time is normal?

7. In response to SHC-ScottD

Lucyh321, actually there is no set time a refrigerator will run and after it stops, how long it will take to cycle back on again. As long as it's maintaining good temps in both sections, it should be ok. I hope this helps you.