Question

I have a lawn tractor 917.273380…it will start and mow for about 10 minutes then lose power and eventually shut down. I have adjusted the valves and it repeats the problem. I noticed the last time before adjusting that the top rocker arm is not moving in or out. What is the problem ? Thanks !

its a craftsman 17.7 hp 42 inch riding mower

Answers

3 answers

1. Hello Gowin. You could have a problem with the valve adjustment that you performed on the engine. A number of other failures could be causing your problem. That tractor appears to have a Briggs & Stratton engine model 31C707-0230-E1. Here is a link for the manual on that engine from the Briggs & Stratton website: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/msuwEN-K_ny7tH217FzoPu.pdf

I recommend that you check your adjustments according to the guidelines in that manual. That may help you fix the problem. If you need to have the tractor examined and repaired by a technician, you can schedule service by calling Sears at 1-800-469-4663 (1-800-4MY-HOME).

1. In response to SHC-LyleW

How can I easily tell when the piston is at the most top center. When I have the plug out and stick the screwdriver in. I feel the piston pushing the screw driver back out of the hole to me. Im confused. Sorry. Hoping you can help.

2. Hi Gowin!

Thank you for posting your question in the MySears Community!

We would be happy to have one of our Sears Lawn and Garden Experts help by providing some trouble shooting options.

Please check back periodically to this thread for a more detailed response.

Thank you!

See More