Question

I have a Lt 2000 mod. 917.28809, the problem is when cutting grass I can not get the blades to disengage all the way(they slow down but don’t stop) The only I can stop them if I raise the deck all the way up. Is there a way to adjust the cable that operates the blades???? VERY DANGEROUS!!!

How do I fix the problem????

Answers

2 answers

1. If you have just replaced the belt, I recommend checking the routing of the belt. If the belt is routed on the wrong side of the keeper, it makes the belt too tight and the blades will not turn off. If the belt is routed correctly, park it on a hard level surface and remove the key. Then look for the return spring on the idler arm. The spring connects between the idler and the front of the deck. This spring is there to pull the idler back to loosen the belt and apply the brakes. Each brake arm has a spring also that pulls the brake into the mandrels. If the springs are ok, check the cable. The cable should be loose when you disengage the places. If it is not loosening when disengaged the cable need to be replaced. The last check to make is on the idler arm. The idler arm has a cam that releases the brakes. I have seen the arm get worn spots where the brake lever rides and cause the mower to not disengage.

2. Hi pitt16232! Welcome to MySears! Thanks for posting your question today. I am sure one of the Lawn and Garden experts will be able to help. Check back soon right here for their reply.

In the meantime, you may want to check out your owner's manual, if you haven't done so. You can download it from www.managemylife.com. If you click that link, it should bring you right to your manual. Thanks!

See More