Question

i have a sears model 790.94462702 electric oven that has been taking a long time to preheat. Tonight it was preheating for almost an hour to get to 350. i finally gave up. What’s wrong with it?

Answers

2 answers

1. Hello robo76. You could have a problem with the hidden bake element in the oven. You can unplug the range to disconnect electrical power and remove the bottom panel to check that bake element. You should see 2 thumb screws at the back of the bottom panel inside the oven cavity. Remove the oven door as shown in your owner's manual if necessary to reach those screws. Once you remove those thumb screws, you can carefully lift up on the back of that bottom panel and move it back slightly to release the panel from the front lip. Remove the panel from the oven cavity and examine the bake element (with the range still unplugged). If that element is damaged, then it will need to be replaced. You can visit the Sears PartsDirect website to order that part and replace it (with the range unplugged). If the element is okay, then you could have a wiring failure or a problem with the electronic control board in the console. A temperature sensor problem could also prevent the oven from heating properly. If you need to have a service technician examine and repair the range, you can schedule service by calling Sears at 1-800-469-4663 (1-800-4MY-HOME).

2. Hi robo76,

Thank you for posting your pre-heating issue in the MySears Community!

I know that 20 -30 minutes can range in the normal scope, but YIKES! One hour can really place a damper on getting a meal prepared.

To better help in providing you with some troubleshooting options, I am going to have one of our Sears Appliance Experts help in finding some answers for you.

Please continue to check back periodically for a reply back from one our Expert Team members.

Thank you!