Question

I just bought a Craftsman 27cc 2-Cycle WeedWacker. I used ethanol-free gas, mixed with oil as directed. It ran ok for about 10 minutes, then sputtered and died. It hasn’t started since. The fuel lines do not appear to be kinked. I removed the access panels on the carburetor and cleaned them with carb fluid. I haven’t checked the spark plug yet, but I’m running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Answers

2 answers

1. Matt_DeVore,

I am sorry you are having a problem with the trimmer. I recommend removing the spark plug first. Then look at the end of the plug. If it is wet, we know the carburetor is letting fuel through. If that is the case, I recommend checking spark at the plug. To do that you need to connect the spark plug to the spark plug wire. Then hold the base of the spark plug to a bare metal part of the engine with insulated pliers. While holding the spark plug in this position, pull the starter rope. You should see a spark jump the gap on the end of the plug. If you do not see any spark, check the kill switch. If the switch is fine, the problem is likely a defective ignition coil. If you do see a spark, the problem is likely old fuel.

If the end of the spark plug is dry, the fuel is not going through the carburetor. To verify this you need to reinstall the spark plug. Then carefully pour about a thimble full of fuel into the throat of the carburetor. Then pull the starter rope. If the engine starts and dies the carburetor is the problem. Usually cleaning the carburetor will cure the problem. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Mark T.

If the end of the spark plug is dry the fuel is not going through the carbureotr. To verify this you need to reinstall the spark plug. Then carefully pour about a thimble full of fuel into the throat of the carburetor. Then pull the starter rope. If the engine starts and dies the carburetor is the proble. Usually cleaning the carbureotr will cure the problem.

2. Hi Matt_DeVore,

Thank you for posting your concerns with us in the MySears Community!

We have escalated your issues with your WeedWacker to our Sears Lawn and Garden Experts to help you further.

Please check back periodically for a response.

Thank you!

See More