Question

I just opened a Christmas present (Craftsman table and two stools) for my newly completed workshop. The table base was welded crooked and the table cannot be leveled. I was told at Sears Hardware in Newark, De. that they cannot do anything about it. I’m very disappointed –to the point that I left the crooked-unusable table at the store and left. I have the original recept from my daughter…Do I have any recourse?? Nothing like this has ever happened to me in my 45 years shopping at Sears?

Answers

5 answers

• San Jose, CA

I have that Craftsman table here at home.

The table I have does not rely on welds to level the table.

The 5-legged bottom piece has threaded adjustable pads at the end of each leg.

The round column piece is attached to the leg assembly using one long bolt, that screws into a sheet metal assembly within the tube of the column.

The orientation from the leg assembly to the column is defined by the way the end of the columns tube "*****" onto the top of the leg assembly.

Up top of the column a sheet-metal plate is screwed into cross-member, welded inside the top inside of the column.

The perpendicularity of joint is again, determined by how the **** joint of the top of the tubular column and the beveled edge stamped into the bottom of the table top mounting plate.

The table top is attached to the mounting plate using four screws, one at each corner of the mounting plate.

If the top of the table can be leveled by adjusting the threaded foot pads below the leg assembly.

If the table is not perpendicular to the tube, options include "shimming" the distance between the mounting plate and the table top.

The column's tube top can be checked for perpendicularity, using a combination square and adjusted with a hand file (10 inch, ******* cut).

The tube's perpendicularity with the leg assembly can also be adjusted by removing excess material from the bottom edge of the column, using a hand file.

The store's purchase warranty extends out to a maximum of 90 days on most of their products.

Then there is a manufacturer's warranty that can be looked into ("bad weld").

The set is not one of the Craftsman Mechanics' Hand Tools covered by a life-time warranty.

I hope this table can be reassembled and adjusted to be right for you.

The nature of your leveling job and those FIVE wonderful threaded pads make a 360 degree little bubble level invaluable to quickly and accurately leveling the table top.

A combination square is the only tool you need to check for item to item perpendicularity and the squareness of the ends of the column tube.

Hopefully, the correction will be minor and quickly accomplished.

Good luck.

1. Dear ragmyer,

My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’re sorry to read about the problems you encountered with your Craftsman table welding problems. We’d like to talk to you and have one of our dedicated case manager contact you to address and ensure proper resolution. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (ragmyer), your phone # used at time of purchase, and case number to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks,
    Edwin C.
    MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to SHC-EdwinC

My daughter Kayla Cloutier purchased this for me last thanksgiving at College Square Newark, De. 19711-5453 and this is where the table and stools are now...Kaylas' phone number at purchase most likely was her Cell phone 3**-3**-3***. The salescheck # 058439015219. My name is Robert P. ***** (wife Sandra) and we are long time customers..and have a sears mastercard account. You can call me on my cell phone 3**-6**-3***. Thank you and have a great night.

2. In response to SHC-EdwinC

Might want to take the phone numbers off of here.

2. Hi ragmyer! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry your table was not in satisfactory condition when you opened it. I can get you in touch with SearsCares, the customer service escalation team, if you would like to discuss your options with them.

Check back here in a bit for a reply from a team member looking to help.

Thanks!