Question

I just purchased a Sears Kenmore 40 gallon gas hot water heater Item #33166. When I took it out of the carton it had a big plastic bag over it. The bag was held on at the top by a spring disc slotted washer which was slid about two third of the way down the cold water inlet nipple. This slotted spring washer is not down as far as the blue plastic collar which covers the hole in the casing top. Should this washer 1) be removed before installation, 2) driven down so it seats on the blue plastic cover or 3) just left alone? The hot water heater manual does not show it in diagrams or make any mention of it. Since it is not now seated, it appears that the pipe fittings will contact it when they are connected on the cold water inlet nipple. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. I am installing this myself and would like to hear back as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Answers

3 answers

1. I have more information from the source about the washer. It's part of the packaging and will need to be removed. I hope this helps you.

1. In response to SHC-ScottD

Thank you for this timely information. I managed to get the slotted washer moving in a counter-clockwise direction and then used a straight slot screwdriver in one slot to gently tap it and continue rotating it until it came right off. I really appreciated that you got the information from the source as I didn't want to leave it there if it was just part of the packaging. Thanks for being very helpful to me and my installation. FYI...My username had a typo in it when I created it...so it's supposed to be "Long Time Sears Customer" not "Lost Time". lol. :)

2. If there was a plastic bag attached to this washer, it will probably need to be removed. Now, some water heaters now have some heat traps already built into the tank. First, check to see if you notice a similar washer in the hot outlet. If there is a similar washer there, then the one in the cold side will need to stay in place. If there is nothing in the hot side, remove the washer. I hope this will help you.