I need the name and mailing address (or e-mail address) of a manager to whom I can write to file an oficial complaiont about service under an appliance maintenance agreement. Can someone provide me with this information?


2 answers

  1. Hortense2, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I saw your comment and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. We are very sorry to hear that you are having such a frustrating experience with service. We would be happy to have a dedicated case manager contact you and address your concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, case #, screen name (hortense2), phone # used at time of purchase to Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

  2. Hi there, hortense2! Welcome to MySears! Thanks for your question today. I can get you in touch with SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. They will be happy to discuss the issues you have had.

    A team member is going to reply soon requesting more information. Once they do, I will reach out via email to let you know.


See More