Question

I only wish that Sears stood by thier auto repairs. They did a brake job at the white plains ny store, and my ABS light will not go out. The technician stated they know nothing about electronics and can’t help me, Duh… Cars are all electronics these days. Than they should consider getting out of the automotive business.

Answers

7 answers

1. It is possible that the wheel bearing / hub assembly could be bad, especially on GM vehicles. I see this type of problem all the time. As far as scanning the codes, not all of our stores have the equipment to do it.

• San Jose, CA

Your transmission is shot. Sears Auto or AMCO?

Your engine is in need of a rebuild. Sears Auto or a full-service auto shop?

Your brakes are squealing and need new pads. Sears Auto or a Brake Shop. Trick question. Like most auto shops, the brake disks/ drums are sent out for machining locally, while the Mechanics replace consumable components, like the pads.

As more and more mechanisms are augmented with computerized systems, specialized diagnostic and repair is going to become more and more specialized.

Try the local Service Department of your make of vehicle's Auto Sales & Service Center.

They'll, most likely, have the specialized diagnostic tools, and vehicle make specific training and experience to quickly repair your vehicle.

1. That makes very little sense. The reason that people do not go to the dealer service department is that they charge a whole lot more.

Any shop that has a brake lathe (and most do) can resurface drums and rotors, and the cost of replacements sometimes is low enough that it does not make sense to turn them.

ABS systems are not that difficult, all you need is a scanner to read the codes to know what needs to be done

• San Jose, CA

Find me a brake surfacing lathe in a Sears Automotive shop.

Along with the ABS reader comes a whole SLEW of specialize, model car specific parts and factory/dealer trained Mechanics, which might help explain the greater cost of dealer servicing.

Change a tire at a dealer - probably a costly endeavor.

Do a full ABS diagnostic and repair of your vehicle - BINGO.

2. If Sears does not have basic equipment such as a brake lathe, they really should not be trusted to do any repairs to a vehicle.

As to the "Full ABS diagnostic" as an automotive professional, I can tell you that all good shops have Diagnostic readers that will pinpoint the failure location. You do not need to go to the dealer to have a wheel sensor replaced.

2. searNYAutoCasualt,

We’re sorry that you auto center experience did not meet your expectations. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to case manager discuss this situation with you. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (searNYAutoCasualt) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
    David W.
    MySears Community Moderator

3. Hi searNYAutoCasualt!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the auto shop.

I have escalated your concerns to our Sears Cares team to see if they can help on the ABS light issue after repairs had been made.

Please check back periodically for a response so that they can help you further.

Thank you!

See More