Question

i ordered a tv online on 12/14/12, it was supposed to be delivered 1-3 bussiness days and i never recieved it. was lied to be sears associates and got the runaround too! i tried to cancel the order on 12/17/12 but they said no. i wanted to buy this tv as a gift for my mother for christmas and this was a total let down. sears emailed me that the tv was shipped on 12/18/12 i called ups on 12/24/12 and was informed that sears originated a shipping label but didnt ship anything.

is sears a scam??? or sears employees slacking??? who knows but i know im done with sears!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers

18 answers

1. Hi gusty, if you ordered the tv on Friday the 14th and cancelled it on Monday the 17th, that's one business day. Sounds like you cancelled it a day before the scheduled delivery on the 18th. Hope your mom still got a tv from someplace, very nice gift if she has an old tube.

1. In response to madgolfer

Just a side bar but I sent a tv from sears.com to my brother in PA for Christmas. It arrived damaged but I called Sears.com and UPS delivered a replacement the next day then picked the damaged one up a few days later. I carried the 2 tv's on my credit card for a couple weeks til the process finished but otherwise the service was perfect.

2. In response to madgolfer

Sounds like a good story.
      However one point springs immediately to my notice, and I fully appreciate that it may not apply in this case. The two major credit cards in use in the USA both impose limits (credit and debit) on the length of time between 'transaction', at the merchant, and posting to the clients account, with the 'acquirer'. Although the time line indicated here is extremely vague it would appear that his time limited has been exceeded by a considerable margin.

2. gustywinds2, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. It is frustrating enough to encounter any trouble with your order, much less not to receive the order in a timely manner. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the order was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (gustywinds2) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Social Media Moderator

3. Sounds like a typical Sears maneuver.
    They now have your money and will do almost anything to delay refunding it.
    The following Government website may contain some interesting information for you:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre28.shtm

1. In response to inquisitivemind

This is written on the Sears site and only apples to opnline oredered items using a the shipping method. Home delivery or pick-up items can be cancelled immediately:

UPS/USPS SHIPPED ITEMS

Because our automated system processes your order almost immediately after you click the "Process Order" button in Checkout, it not possible to cancel your order before it fulfilled. However, when you receive the shipment, it will contain specific instructions on how to return it for a refund. In addition, home delivery of larger items can be refused, if necessary.

If you make an order that you wish to cancel, you may mail the order back after you have received it or return the merchandise to your local Sears store. If you choose this last option, please be sure to follow the correct steps on returning Sears.com merchandise.

Orders with a status of "Processing" cannot be canceled (Check Your Order Status). When the status changes from Processing to Shipped, it means that your order has left Sears distribution facility and is on its way to the carrier regional distribution center. Tracking numbers and other information may not be available until your shipment arrives at the carrier regional center. To contact Customer Service, please send an email to our Customer Order Department or call 1-800-349-4358.

2. In response to inquisitivemind

Civsci:
      Who cares what Sears website says.
      Bottom line is, according to poster, that Sears failed to deliver in 1-3 days as promised and now client wants his/her money back. By law he/she is supposed to get it promptly and be given the chance to cancel the order when the merchant does not ship by the promised date.
      I suppose your next defense will be that Sears is preparing to ship because they have generated a shipping label. To me that is not good enough!

3. In response to inquisitivemind

If the order says it is processing it cannot be reversed because Sears.com has already submitted the order details to the carrier facility for UPS packaging and Sears has no way of stopping it in time, unless the carrier facility reports that the item is out of stock and sears.com cancels it.

Perhaps this will be fixed in the future, But for now any orders placed with a ship method that are already "processing" cannot be canceled until after fulfillment. The item can be shipped back to Sears for which Sears may eat the cost of shipping.

4. In response to inquisitivemind

It is also possible the item is from a 3rd seller on the sears.com marketplace. The information currently presented is pretty vague to be making concrete conclusions.

5. In response to inquisitivemind

Civsci says:
      "If the order says it is processing it cannot be reversed because Sears.com has already submitted the order details to the carrier facility for UPS packaging and Sears has no way of stopping it in time, unless the carrier facility reports that the item is out of stock and sears.com cancels it.

Perhaps this will be fixed in the future, But for now any orders placed with a ship method that are already "processing" cannot be canceled until after fulfillment. The item can be shipped back to Sears for which Sears may eat the cost of shipping."
      My interpretation of this is that Sears has engineered a process that does not allow them to comply with the Federal Law - Lovely. A great way to do business and develop loyalty in your client base.

6. In response to inquisitivemind

Cicsci says:
      "It is also possible the item is from a 3rd seller on the sears.com marketplace. The information currently presented is pretty vague to be making concrete conclusions."
      I agree that this may be a possibility but on the information given it does not appear to be very likely. Should it prove to be accurate it would also call into question the competence of those Sears associates who have already responded to the poster.
      Sears normal response to a poster who has ordered through a third party vendor is that 'it is nothing to do with Sears you will have to deal with the vendor', or some such similar response.

7. In response to inquisitivemind

"Sounds like a typical Sears maneuver.
      They now have your money and will do almost anything to delay refunding it."

If it WAS through a third party vendor, and the representative didn't have the customer's information (which they don't, because they don't have ANY information from the original post with which to trace which order is being mentioned), then who was the first person to make assumptions and make potentially false claims? You can't claim the high ground when you're busy slinging mud.

8. In response to inquisitivemind

Should you fully read and comprehend the original poster's complaint you will see that he/she has attempted to deal with more than one Sears associate and has failed to get a reasonable response. It can only be assumed that the associates that the original poster tried to deal could/should have asked sufficient questions to enable them to determine where the order was placed.
      Perhaps what I should have said so that my comments were a little clearer should have been something along the lines of:
      "Should it prove to be accurate it would also call into question the competence of those Sears associates who had already responded prior to tale now told here."
      Do you think that would clarify the situation.
      I do agree that on the in

9. In response to inquisitivemind

Perhaps, but, then again, there are details of these conversations to which we are not privy, and thus we don't really have any idea how accurate the version of the events we're hearing is to the real thing. There is a common human psychological phenomenon where people will leave out the things they've done wrong in the retelling of a story of their past if there's someone else involved who could possibly be blamed. Ever watched The People's Court or Judge Judy? :) I can tell you, from personal experience, I hear stories from customers all the time that simply don't mesh with the facts, but they're going to stick to the story, because the only thing worse than the problem is the possibility that they're largely the cause of their problem. It's akin to the old "it's not me, it's this stupid machine" complaint. It's the keyboard that's making the typos, not my inability to type or spell. It's the car that goes too fast, not my impatience in getting from A to B. It's traffic that's the problem, not my chronic procrastination that makes me leave with only seconds to spare. The human mind seeks every other source of hardship in life and seldom, if ever, examines itself as a possible culprit. I can't help that people's brains work this way, I can only recognize it and try to work with it. :)

10. In response to inquisitivemind

To BCGIMA,
      It is not often that I completely agree with you but this is one of those times.
      This is why I normally include a phrase something along the lines of "according to the poster", or "the poster states".
      Additionally I have also lamented the fact that Senior Management do not comment on situations.
      That all being said enjoy the rest of the season with your family and friends.

11. In response to inquisitivemind

BCGIMA, speaking of which, there is A group on Pebble with posts from call center reps named "tales from the call floor" you might find interesting..

4. Hi gustywinds2! I am so sorry to hear about this-I can imagine what a disappointment this must have been for your holiday. Please check back on this thread soon for a reply from a SearsCares team member. They can look into your order for you and see where the breakdown occurred that caused you to not receive it for Christmas. Thanks!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Alternatively the poster could file a disputed charge claim with his/her credit card issuer and report Sears to the FTC for failing to comply with Federal Law. The details are here:
      http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre28.shtm

See More