Question

I own a Kenmore Elite HE3 washer that has been diagnosed by a Sears technician as having a corroded drum. This drum is covered under a lifetime warranty. However, the technician informed me that because I as the owner had removed the drum from the machine that the part was no longer covered under warranty…eventhough the part had clearly failed. Sears will not send me a replacement part unless ordered by the techinician at a cost of $1,517.62

Answers

5 answers

1. JKR.smfld
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I am very sorry to hear on the troubles you have encountered with your washer. I can certainly understand your frustrations with the additional cost to replace the drum. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss other options. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the washer was purchased under (if different than the contact number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your (MySears) screen name (JKR.smfld) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank, you Liz R. My Sears Social Media Moderator, Sears Social Media Support

2. Hi JKR.smfld! We can get you in touch with a SearsCares team member to see if they can look into your warranty for you, as well. Check back on this thread in a bit-they will reach out right here requesting more information. Thanks!

3. Manufacturer warranties almost always depend upon all work being done by licensed technicians. If others work on the item, it can frequently void any warranties that it may have. This is not special to Sears or Kenmore products, but common throughout almost every industry. For example, many products have adhesive seals that, if removed or tampered with, void the warranty. In almost every case, unless you're about to purchase a new product anyway, the best advice is to leave the tinkering to the technicians to keep any warranties intact.

1. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

It is not often I agree with everything, or even almost everything, you say, but this is one of the latter instances.
      With reference to this particular case, I have read of similar instances. However I have read of many more where, under similar circumstances, the technician has ordered the parts under warranty and fitted them with the appropriate charges being made to the client.
      It would appear, in this instance, the post 'got a technician who went by the book'. The other reason for the refusal COULD be that the poster did some damage to other parts during the dismantling. $1,500.00 for a drum assembly and rear section of the outer tub does seem a little excessive but without a full model number it is difficult to judge.
      Happy New Year to You and Yours.

4. Likely you now realize just how 'good' the 'Kenmore' warranty is!
    The authority to decide the merits of a warranty claim rest with the attending technician. I have never known the ruling or diagnosis to be accepted as incorrect after the fact even when when subsequent dismantling of a machine has proved the diagnosis to be inaccurate.
    As the final insult you have been, or likely will be, charged for the technicians visit.
    Should Sears 'step up to the mark', please let us know.

See More