Question

I paid for an air hockey table on 12/22/12 and didn’t take it home because it wouldn’t fit in my car. I was told that I had two weeks to pick it up, however, when I returned on 12/24/12 to pick it up I was told that it had been sold. Upon speaking with the store manager he told me that he had other hockey tables but couldn’t offer me one because they were more expensive than what I had purchased. My options were to have him call around to see if another store had one that could be delivered to me same day or order it for delivery after Christmas and he offered me a gift card which I declined because I won’t be doing business with Sears anymore. Later in the afternoon I received a call offering a ping pong or fooseball table at a “nice price” because he couldn’t find an air hockey table in the area. I also declined this offer because I needed an air hockey table not ping pong or fooseball and I wasn’t paying extra for a mistake made by Sears. After calling and emailing the corporate office, I received a run around response telling me to continue working with the store manager to resolve this issue. This issue cannot be resolved because I don’t have an air hockey table for Christmas. I held off on having my money refunded because I wanted to see if corporate could help in rectifying the situation but it’s apparent that they won’t and no one wants to take the blame. I will be at Sears when they open on 12/26/12 to get my money back. Is this standard practice for your stores?

Answers

3 answers

1. A customer pays for merchandise. They return to pick up their property, only to find that store personnel had sold something that they no longer owned. In the real world, I would consider this to be theft.

The customer is told that they can take some other item, not what they wanted, but Sears, the company that is totally and completely at fault, is not willing to either do what it takes to get the merchandise that the customer purchased to them, or provide them with a better like kind replacement. A ping pong or Foosball table is not the same thing as an air hockey game.

Apparently they had other air hockey games in stock, but they were unwilling to provide one of those, because they were more expensive. Sears sees nothing wrong with a customer losing out, but heaven forbid that they take a loss to make up for their own negligence.

The customer has no air hockey table. The person who was supposed to get this as a gift has nothing. Christmas day is, if not ruined, at least a serious disappointment for the customer and the intended recipient.

The customer states that they will be at the store as soon as it opens to get a refund and most likely will not be shopping at Sears in the future.

After 3 pm on the 26th, there is a post from Sears "cares" trying to smooth this over. I want to know how Sears thinks they can solve this problem. They refused to do the right thing in time for Christmas, and now even if they give the customer a full refund and provide the item for free, they can never take away the disappointment caused by the (to be charitable) negligence of Sears employees and management

2. melissayk,
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. Please accept our sincerest apologizes for the lack of customer service you have experienced with one of our Sears stores. I can understand how upsetting it is to have purchased an air hockey table and find out it was sold. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact number and the phone the order was purchased under (if different than the contact number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your (MySears) screen name (melissayk) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank, you Liz R. MySears Social Media Moderator, Sears Social Media Support

3. I am so sorry to hear about this, melissaayk! I can understand your disappointment. Check back on this thread soon for a reply from a SearsCares team ember. They will do what they can to get this resolved for you.