Question

I purchased a Craftsman lawn tractor in March of 2011. I have had it for just over two years. It stopped running about 3 weeks ago while I was mowing. I called to set up a service call and they came today and informed me that my engine was blown and that I would have to replace it. I am out of the warranty period. Is there anything else that can be done? its a new mower. I spent good money, banking on the quality that I percieved with the Craftsman brand and now I am out $2000 and have to buy a new mower. Not happy right now.

The repair guy said that there was oil all over, true, but he said that there was no leak that he could see so he concluded that the oil dipstick must have been loose. I asked him if it was loose when he opened up the mower and he said it was not. Sounds like a motor failure to me. That’s a bunch of **** that Sears won’t stand by their products better than this. The mower I had before was 18 years old when I got it and it just finally failed 2 years ago after I had it for 5-6 more years. I hope someone from Sears corporate customer service reads this and responds to me.

Answers

5 answers

• San Jose, CA

Did you purchase a Repair Agreement for your new tractor?

Those agreements can take the Sears warranty coverage for the larger machines out to up to five years.

I have a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that has been running for about... little over 30 years now.

The warranty expired a long... time ago.

My Craftsman Yard Tractor has been a cut'n and a haul'n for a little over 11 years now.

What is the long model number, found underneath the seat, of your Craftsman tractor?

Is the tractor a 917 or a 247 model number OEM machine?

1. grassizgrowing,

We’re sorry for the trouble you're experiencing with your tractor. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to discuss this situation with you and address any other concerns you may have. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the tractor was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (grassizgrowing) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue.

Thank you,
    David W.
    MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to SHC-DavidW

I spoke with the local store owner/manager and he felt terrible about it. He is trying to work something out. My gripe is not with him at all, it was probably about venting that I just bought a new mower and it broke, of course after the warranty expired. I never buy the extended warranty because usually, if you buy a product that is a lemon it will fail much sooner. David I will email you directly.

2. In response to SHC-DavidW

Thank you for the update!

It is quite understandable in how you are feeling and we thank you for reaching out and giving us a chance to help in making it right!

Once you email David please keep us posted on the outcome.

2. Welcome, grassizgrowing! That is pretty good screen name! Sorry your mower is not working. We can get you in touch with the SearsCares team. They will be happy to discuss this with you and see what your options are.

Check back right here in a bit. A team member will reach out shortly.

See More