Just how do you register a complaint? I have purchased major appliances from Sears for years, and the service contracts as well. Now we have a service representative who refuses to service a covered product and we have to wait until they can bring in another person from another area. Never again will I purchase from sears.

There was once a time where sears was customer oriented, sadly this is no longer the case. You cannot even reach a liver person.


7 answers

  1. To Whom it May Concern: (Please note this ended up being almost a journal as things occurred -- I will continue to track as it continues to be a mess an consumes my days)

    We ordered a dishwasher, gas range and refrigerator on January 21st from the Sears Cleveland Richmond Store (see attached receipts at the bottom of page). The dishwasher and range were delivered right away, but because the refrigerator was a special order of a "left hand hinge" we were given a delivery date of 1/31 for this item. We paid for all of the appliances to be removed from our property at the time of delivery when they were ordered. The refrigerator was to arrive between 2-4 on 1/31, during school pick-up time so a babysitter was arranged to so we would be available for delivery. By 6pm no delivery had occurred and we had not received a call from Sears. We tried many times to reach the Richmond store, but we were sent to the 1-800 number. When we were sent to this we were unable to get delivery information or get through to the store/sales person without being sent to voicemail. Finally, we spoke to a service person at the 1-800, who seemed eager to help us, but she informed us she could not view local store orders, however she worked very hard to assist us and was able to get us in touch with the delivery person in Cleveland. Rather than the delivery team contacting us, we had to spend at least an hour tracking them down, many hours waiting for them. Once we reached the delivery team they stated they would be soon be at our home -- however, they did not arrive until after 8PM at which time they required the assistance of Matt and his tools to get the refrigerator in to our home. Upon getting the refrigerator in we discovered it was not a left hand swing door as had been special ordered. The delivery team informed us the door of the appliance was not one that could be changed. The service people contacted the sales department to let them know to send a technician out, or more likely, it was necessary to order a different refrigerator all together. The delivery team left over an hour later (They were to arrive between 2-4 -- making them 4-6 hours late) and they did not take the old refrigerator with them. Sam (the Sears sales person) was called immediately to figure out resolution steps. She arranged to have a technician come to our home on Feb 3rd at which time she informed us the old refrigerator would be removed. A technician came that Monday Feb 3rd, he informed us that the refrigerator could not be changed to left hinge, again, and also noted the refrigerator freezer door was damaged and dragging on the ground, and he refrigerator was off center. He recommended a different refrigerator. We spoke with Sam while the technician was there and arranged for a new refrigerator delivery date of Feb 11th. We also spoke with, Deserah, the store manager, to discuss our concerns, and we everything would be addressed. After the technician left, water was discovered all over our kitchen floor, thankfully our contractor was at our home working at the time, and he found that when the refrigerator was pushed in the new copper tubing was damaged, causing a leak. We replaced the copper tubing for a second time in a week on our own as a result (about $60 cost to us). This repreresentative stated he was unable to remove our old refridgerator parts that were left by the previous team.

    In the mean time Sam emailed us other refrigerator options (all significantly more than what we had budgeted) --- therefore, Matt spent time searching the Sears site and found a different refrigerator than the ones Sam had emailed that fit closer to our budgeted amount. Matt replied to Sam on Feb 3rd and called both she and Deserah (with no call back) stating that we would like model 04601840000P with the hinge on the left Whirlpool 18.5 cubic ft. for 1259.99. We never heard back from anyone to confirm this order. We called the store seven times between 1/31/14 and last Friday Feb the 7th. Three messages were left that week and we never received a call back. On Feb 4th the same service rep from the day before arrived again. He was as confused, as were we, as to why he’d been sent back to our home. That day we had other people working in our home but we had to take time out again to talk to Sears to confirm the technicians time of arrival, departure, and essentially track Sears employees for them, while our issue was still unresolved. We were informed the correct item would arrive on the 11th --- The old refrigerator remained in our driveway. He was not able to take it. No returned calls from Sears personnel ever came. On Feb 10th we received a delivery time of 11-1. The morning of the 11th we received another call from Sears changing the delivery time to 9-11. We hired another babysitter to get our children to school to accommodate the Sears delivery. The delivery team called when they were about 40 minutes away to Matt's phone (although we had provided Stacy's phone for all communication previously (twice) as he is now working in Colorado), Matt was assured they would call Stacy when about 10-15 minutes away. This call never occurred. The delivery team arrived and wanted to bring the refrigerator in on February 11th. Stacy refused to allow the removal and/or installation until she saw the replacement as not calls or emails were ever returned confirming the updated order. The refrigerator that the delivery team had was the exact same one currently in our kitchen, with a right hand swing, not left hand as we thought we had special ordered. Stacy called the store three times while the delivery person was at the home and left messages for both Sam (sales person) and Deserah (sales manager). Stacy next had to talk with the Sears telephone person to "confirmed" the whereabouts of the delivery person. Stacy did so and during the call explained to the telephone person the on-going difficulties with this 4th delivery attempt, no returned calls from store personnel and requested a phone number to reach the supervisor of Deserah. As the person on the telephone was working to "chick-in and out " the employee and find a resource, Stacy was placed on hold so long she was sent to a voicemail box at Sears. The Sears rep never called back. Stacy sent the delivery person on, signed dated and timed the paper work and continued to call other numbers for Sears. The old refrigerator remained and was again not removed.

    The delivery for Tuesday February 11th (the 4th attempt to resolve this issue, not including the many hours spent fruitlessly on the phone) was scheduled for 9:00. It is now after 1:10 pm East Coast time and we have spent another four plus hours struggling with how to get the correct refrigerator, not to mention missed work and money spent on babysitters, copper tubing etc, as well as the old refrigerator now buried in two feet of snow in our driveway remaining.

    Stacy received a call from Brian, appliance manager at the Richmond store, at 10:40 am today, all of the issues were discussed. She was assured she would receive a call back within the hour with information and/or resolution. Brian was informed by the Hartlzers that as of this time they have spent a great deal of personal time and energy to coordinate and rectify this order, as well as time off from work and babysitter costs – and broken copper tubing - Our expectation at this time is that a replacement refrigerator come by February 14th (prior to our move to Colorado) at no additional expense to us. Brian called back at about 1150 stating that he could deliver a new refrigerator February 21st. Brian was told by Stacy that this delivery date would now be one month after the original delivery date was scheduled, as well as, we MUST have the new refrigerator by February 14th to fulfill our contractual/moving obligations. No discussion regarding the old refrigerator occurred.

    Brian is continued to work to resolve our issue all day, Tuesday February the 11th. His resolution was to send us a Kitchen Aid refrigerator that is only made as a left hinge item and fits our space, however it is not available until February 21st, not meeting our deadline and obligations for moving out and our new tennants. This date is exactly one month after the first delivery date was promised and more than one month since the purchase was made. Brain initinally offered to have old refrigerator picked up at this time, the 21st of February. We explainted it was necessary to have this done before the end of this week, before we move out as the delivery of this refrigerator is not ideal with our time line and having the old refrigerator in our driveway for the new tennants would create a barrier in transferring our property. That evening of the 11th Stacy called Brian back to verify that this Kitchen Aid was also had an ice machine, as the one we had ordered. As is customary, both Stacy and Matt encountered difficulties getting through the the actual store on Richmond to reach Brian, and then when we did employees would explain they did not know where he was and would we would have to ask to leave a message, they did not offer. Brian responded that he was 99.9% sure it was and would confirm with us. As of the date of this email we have not received that confirmation. The evening of February 11th Matt received a call on his cell phone, he answered, it was a recoreded message from Sears for him to call the very number that was calling him regarding his order. He called back right away. They were confused with two dates of delivery, one for removal and one for delivery. They were insisting on cancelling one. As the the personell that you work with for delivery clearly are not local, let alone based in our country, it is very difficult to communicate the complexity of our situation. He had to plead and then demmand to not make any changes. Then a second call from Sears came to Matt again that NIGHT. Same thing -- call asking him to call the same number -- he debrudgingly did -- the staff member in the foriegn country could again not understand the reason for the two delivery dates. Matt again pleaded to not make changes. We are left very uncertain if a pickup for our old refrigerator that has been in our driveway since January 21st will actually occur at this point. The communication and processes that Sears have are very complex and customer unfriendly, especially if there are problems.

    We believe their intentions were great from a customer service standpoint, but we were and are left with on-going frustration on how to reach anyone --- spending hours on the phone --- leaving messages etc --- to actually hope solve our issues. The process of customer service triage at Sears is very customer service unfriendly, especially if a customer encounters a problem. I hope that someone at Sears will look our concern and customer service experience and take the time to review the Sears system and consider some changes. We would hate to loose Sears business in this highly competitive marketplace, however, at this time, we certainly are not inclined to use Sears again, nor recommend them --- We are left very concerned how Sears will resolve our concerns. We wonder how much business Sears has already lost as a result of these sorts of issues.

    On the morning of February the 13th, Matt recieved a call at 5 am (as he was in Colorado working, and despite our attempting to change the contact number numerous times prior to Stacy's number, they contacted him, even though the evening before he recieved two calls during his business dinner meeting to confirm the delivery). The message stated that "Due to weather or delivery issues" our delivery date has been changed. Then this morning February rthe 13th from 10:00 - 10:35 Stacy attempted to contact Brian at the Richmond store unsuccessfully and finally left a message in their message system. It isvery difficult, often taking over an hour, to reach a person at the store, and if you do you often have to leave a message, or shall I say, request to leave a message and hope the representative gets it if you get past the automated system. Eventually Stacy reached someone at the National Delivery Center and relayed a brief version of the complications and the representative stated she would find someone to follow-up. Around noon a representative from Dallas called from "the Executive office" and identified herself as Jennifer and stated she would be a "case manager" to faciliate the the delivery and assist with issues. The contact number was officially changed to Stacy and Jennifer assured Stacy the old refrigerator parts would be picked up by Friday and staff was scheduled to come. Stacy began to feel all was coming together and going to work, however shortly after this call at 12:40 Stacy recieved a call from a 1-800 number calling to state that "Due to weather ror delivery issues" our delivery (in our case removal) was cancelled. Stacy called Jennifer and left a message. Jennifer later called back and assured Stacy that by Friday it would be picked up. In the mean time Brian had called back, confirmed the refirgerator was an ice machine (as Stacy had confirmed with Jennifer earlier), he was unsure if delivery date was the 20th or 21st (he didn't offer to double check) but did state the old refrigerator would be picked up, stating he had spoken with the local team and to disregard 1-800 calls. Around 230 PM Stacy was at home and informed Sears was there, the contractor notified the staff where the refrigerator was and they insisted on speaking with Stacy. Stacy was in the midst of a meeting, but went to the door and was informed by the staff that they were unable to take the doors as they were unattached to the refridgerator. Stacy responded that she had been assured they would be removed from the property when they came and that the Sears staff was responsible for removing them at the time of installation and that Sears had removed the body from the property but not the doors. The staff responded they could not take the doors unless they were secured to a refridgerator. Stacy told the staff she would contact her "case manager". A message was left for Jennifer and she called back, stating she would remedy. Stacy communicated that she had spent another day working on Sears as she had Tuesday (and many other days and hours) and has not packed for her move across the country --- Jennifer consistently comminucated that once the refriderator was delivered she "could help her (Stacy) out" --- Stacy requested to speak to Jennifer's manager. Jennifer informed Stacy she was in a meeting and would have her call her back. At approximately 4:30 Stacy received a call from another Sears representative, a person she had assumed was Jennifer's supervisor, who was very helpful. Stated she would send a confirmed email of the refridgerator, she did, she stated calls would stop coming in (as did Jennifer) old refridgerator would be picked up Friday morning and other order was set for delivery. Shortly after haning up with Jacque (new rep- /?supervisor) Stacy recieved several calls from the Sears 1-800 number -- one cancelling the order, then her phone died and did not hear it all (as is often the case when they leave a message - only part of a message is left and it is unclear why Sears called). Stacy called Jacque to communicate this. She stated if Stacy were not calling her she would have more time to work on her case. Stacy stated she was worried the call was to cancel tomorrow and suggested she verifiy or not as the previous history suggests it would not work out correctly as well as Stacy had been assured the calls from the 1-800 would stop from Jennifer (today Stacy recieved 8 calls and Matt 1). Jacque then requested to know if Stacy was working with another case worker and if she was in the same office as she was. Stacy replied that she assumed she was the supervisor of Jennifer and was unsure how it was her role to know if they were in the same office or not. Stacy communicated that she was unsure how it was her job to look back at her email and determine if Jacque and Jennifer were in the same office, as Stacy had assumed Jacque was the supervisory call, again putting Stacy in the role of doing the work of Sears. Following the completion of this call Stacy received three more calls from Sears, one that was cut off and ended, then two confirming another two hour window for staff to remove the refrigerator.

    At this time we have post-poned the transfer of our property by one week awaiting the delivery of our refriderator, waited many, many hours of windows for staff - that in one case did not show up until 4hours past their window and we had to call to track them down, the hassle of many, many hours on the phone, loss of time on preparing ourselves for a big move, fighting to be a customer as opposed to do the work ourselves, and now the responsibility of tracking this customer service mess (I was told by Jacque she could not see other notes -- therefore Matt and Stacy will continue to keep a daily log of the tireless interactions with Sears. --- This is the most stressful customer service experience of any we have ever had---

    We are not very optomistic any order from Sears will go as scheduled.

    Stacy and Matt H.

    1. In response to spencer44

      Hi spencer44!

      Welcome to the MySears Community!

      I am sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing with your appliance.

      I have reached out to our Sears Cares team to have them assist you further in regards to this issue.

      Once one of our team members responds, I will we sending an email providing a link back for further contact.

      Thank you!

    2. In response to spencer44

      Hello spencer44,
      My name is Tony and I am with the Sears Cares team. We certainly appreciate you making us aware of the refrigerator delivery troubles that you have been encountering over the course of the last few weeks. Between the late arrival of the 1/31 delivery attempt, only for it to be not what you expected as well as the continued delays to get the refrigerator delivered with the door situated as you requested, your aggravation is absolutely understandable and we would be happy to step in and assist in resolving this to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (spencer44), phone # used at time of purchase to We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

      Thank you,
      MySears Community Moderator

  2. Jcstadler, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a disappointing experience with getting the needed repair for your appliances. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your convenience please contact our office via email at and we will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the item was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (jcstadler) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

    1. In response to SHC-LizR

      The air compressor I purchsed was delivered damaged. I have sent pictures and have repeately tried to contact someone. No response and am very disipointed. I have more sears tools than any person should own and am now stressed

    2. In response to SHC-LizR

      Hi dsturn,

      I am sorry that no one has responded back to you reaching out for assistance. I too would be disappointed especially in being a long time valued customer.

      We would like to try and help in resolving this for you by having one of our Sears Cares Team members reach out to you. They are a great team who will help in any way that they can.

      Please check back periodically for they will respond back by asking you for more information.

      Thank you!

    3. In response to SHC-LizR

      Dsturn, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your comment today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a frustrating experience with your compressor. It is frustrating enough to encounter any trouble with your compressor, much less receiving the item damaged. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (dsturn), phone # used at time of purchase to Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

See More