Question

Kenmore electric range, model 790, control panel burned out in less than 5 years

We were cooking something in the oven, set at around 350 degrees, when there was an electrical burning smell followed by a flash/pop from the control panel. Oven is shot. Stove top works. I’ve seen posts elsewhere that indicated some versions of the model 790 electric range were subject to a recall. Is this issue covered under a previous recall? Seems absurd that a control panel would burn out after so little time. I know it’s beyond the one year warranty. Is this a common problem with the newer electric ranges? My old one (also Kenmore) lasted over 25 years!

Answers

89 answers

1. So my 790 range is also having issues. Luckily it just turns itself off and hasn't over heated or thrown any sparks. Has anyone on here gotten their stove fixed? Should I even try to get my stove fixed or should I just buy a new stove. I cannot see spending over $200 dollars or more to have something fixed for a couple of months and risk my house burning down. Thanks

1. In response to ORridger

Hi ORridger! Thanks for posting on MySears today! You will want to give the folks at 1-800-4-MY-HOME a call. They will be able to help.

Let us know how things go with your stove repair.

Thanks!

2. My wife was baking cakes (at 350) and they began to burn way to early into the baking time. She opened the oven and the upper element was extremely hot. She then turned the oven off, immediately the control panel sparked and made a popping sound. Electrical smoke billowed out of the panel and I went and flipped the breaker. After finding this forum I am very thankful that we were home when this happened but I am also concerned with the large number of others who have also had this issue. Seems like there should have been some corrective action taken by Sears.

1. In response to mvbrunner

Hi there, mvbrunner! Welcome to MySears! Have you called the folks at Sears Home Service? They will be able to make sure your range is properly repaired.

1-800-4-MY-HOME

Let us know!

Thanks!

2. In response to mvbrunner

Yes I contacted Sears and I was redirected to a third party claims department

3. In response to mvbrunner

Hi mvbrunner!

We appreciate the update. Please keep us posted on the outcome so that we can help with this issue further.

Thank you!

3. After cooking successfully last evening, I noticed that the electrical display was completely dead this morning. After troubleshooting, the oven itself is definitely dead. This is surprising, though I purchased this with my home, I am under the impression it was an extremely new item in the home.

And seeing the many experiences that could have been catastrophic with other consumers, the oven itself is now making me nervous.

What options do I have?

Thanks.

1. In response to Echy86

Hi Echy86,

Thanks for reaching out to us, and sharing about the issue you encountered with your oven. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’ll be happy to have a case manager follow up with you, and share any available options to assist you in this matter. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Echy86) phone # to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
      Edwin C.
      MySears Community Moderator

4. Control panel just burnt to a crisp on our Kenmore 790 as well. Just purchased in 2011. Reading some other posts, we feel lucky the damage was contained inside the unit. So $350 to fix our $400 oven for a problem that might happen again? Seems a bit ridiculous. If this is a defective product, Sears needs to step up and take responsibility. We will be filing a complaint with our State AG as well.

1. In response to dimatasia

Hi dimatasia!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us.

To discuss these issues with you further, I am putting you in touch with our Sears Cares team so that can talk to you personally in helping to resolving these issues and making sure your needs have been met.

Once a response has posted I will be reaching out via email providing a link back for contact.

Again we thank you for bringing this issue to our attention!

2. In response to dimatasia

Dimatasia,

Thank you for the feedback regarding the issues with your oven. My name is Jack and I am with the Sears Cares Escalations Team. We would like to have a case manager contact you to determine how best to address these concerns. Please email the following information –contact phone number, screen name (Dimatasia), and phone number used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.
      Thank you,

Jack C.

5. Seems to be the place to do this so I'll start here. Last Thursday, 04/03, we had just used the oven in our 3 year old Kenmore electric range, Model 790. It seemed to be running extremely hotter than it should be so we removed item from oven then turned off. A few moments later the stove cracked and popped and flames shot out the top. After a few more seconds it popped real loud and the display went out. We tripped the breaker in hopes nothing else would happen. Just glad we were standing right there when it all happened. Since it is out of warranty but only 3 years old, are there any options??? Thx

1. In response to cbond1990

Welcome to MySears, cbond1990! The folks at Sears Home Service will be able to help.

1-800-4-MY-HOME

They will be able to set you up with a repair appointment to make sure your range is properly fixed.

Thanks!

2. In response to cbond1990

At this point I am not so sure that repair is an option that I feel comfortable with (having read that it could happen again, and for fear or leaving my house knowing the ranges apparently have a mind of their own). From reading all the other posts, this model/series appears to be a fire hazard and I don't believe I would even feel safe with it in our house. Is there some other option that can be discussed with a dedicated case manager? Our range was barely three years old and even though the standard warranty is out but I would like to think I could have gotten at least 10 years out of it and hopefully no fires. Thanks for any help you can offer.

3. In response to cbond1990

Cbond1990,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback in regards to you range. My name is Jack and I am with the Sears Cares Escalations Team. Please accept our apology for the issue that you have been having with the range. We would like to have a case manager contact you to discuss this with you in greater detail. After getting some more information about the range, our case manager would then be able to determine what options are available to you at this time. At your earliest convenience, please email the following information –contact phone number, screen name (Cbond1990), and phone number used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again we’re sorry for any trouble this may have caused and we look forward to speaking to you soon.
      Thank you,

Jack C.

4. In response to cbond1990

Wow, was so excited to hear something from Sears advising I would be contacted regarding my range. I quickly responded providing you with all the info requested and hoped I would hear something soon. However, since then I have heard nothing, not even an email confirming my response was received and maybe in-process somehow. If this is how you treat customers, I definitely won't be a future Sears customer.

5. In response to cbond1990

Dear cbond1990,

We apologize for the challenges you’ve experienced concerning your range situation. My name is Mina with the Sears Social Media Support team. We certainly understand the importance in having your concerns addressed and resolved, we are truly sorry for the failed communication with the response from our business partner. This is definitely not the way we treat any of our members and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name to reference your post (cbond1990), to smadvisor@searshc.com and a case manager will contact you directly. We look forward speaking to you soon.

Thank you,
      Mina H

6. In response to cbond1990

I have forwarded my original email from 04/09/14, which was sent in response to Sears' first request for info. It would be nice to hear something this time in regards to other options . . . I guess I'll wait and see, again.

6. Wow, I just had this same problem with a 10 yr old 790... F1 error, broiler staying on full blast...pretty scary til I unplugged it. Repair man coming Monday, but it really seems like sears should do something about this It's just not safe for the oven to malfunction in this fashion...

1. In response to Bcd74

Hi Bcd74!

Please keep us posted and reach out if you have any issues or concerns after your scheduled repair service.

Thank you!

2. In response to Bcd74

Same thing happen to me this past Saturday when i was baking....oven went from bake to broil all by itself. Smoke was coming out by the oven door...turned oven off, but still continue to stay on and had to pull range away from wall and unplug. Good thing I was there in the kitchen when this happened, could have been a fire in no time. Very scary. I have called Sears and have service call for Thursday.

3. In response to Bcd74

Welcome, tweetyzmom1! Thanks for visiting MySears today. Keep us posted on your service call! I am sure you will be taken good care of by the repair tech.

4. In response to Bcd74

Wow, I just had the same thing happen to mine. It is a 790 as well. The pop and the spark really scared me. I'm just thankful that it tripped the breaker. This could have caused a serious house fire. My husband removed the control panel, and it appears this is the source of the problem. Kenmore should seriously consider informing it's customers of the potential problem.

5. In response to Bcd74

Hi there, tigfan! Welcome to MySears! Have you called the folks at Sears Home Service? They will be able to make sure your range is properly repaired.

Let us know!

Thanks!

6. In response to Bcd74

Is there someone i can call or have manager call me to discuss options before I have the repair tach come out on Thursday. My range is a 790-94339702, SN: VF92539556. After seeing all these posts and also checking other blogs in refence to Range being a fire hazard, plus hearing the replacement parts may fail..I am not sure I should have it fixed. We bought the range in 2009.

7. In response to Bcd74

Sure-I can have our Appliance Expert stop by to share his knowledge on your range. He will be by in a bit with a reply.

Thanks!

8. In response to Bcd74

Hello tweetyzmo, sorry you have experienced a problem with your range. The technician will be able to determine why your oven malfunctioned and help you resolve the issue. Your range/oven is designed to withstand extreme heat making a chance for fire unlikely; however you did the correct thing by disconnecting power.

Thanks Ron H.

9. In response to Bcd74

Hi! My stove did the same thing that all these other people are talking about. We bought the item Nov2011, We have no warranty on it, can you steer us in the right direction since this seems to be a recurring problem with these stoves? thanks

10. In response to Bcd74

Hi there, amygregory! Welcome to MySears! The folks at Sears Home Service will be able to help.

1-800-4-MY-HOME

They will be able to set you up with a repair appointment to make sure your range is properly fixed.

Thanks!

7. The control panel on my 790 went also. Based on the number of complaints here and the potential safety hazard, I plan to contact my state attorney general and encourage everyone to do the same.

1. In response to Lehmo7

Hi there, Lehmo7! Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry you are encountering issues with your range. I have forwarded your concerns along to the SearsCares team, who will reach out in a bit looking to discuss this with your further.

Thanks!

2. In response to Lehmo7

Hi Lehmo7,

We appreciate you taking time to post about your range unit; we certainly can see how this has caused you to be disappointed. My name is Mina with Social Media Support team. We would like to have a case manager contact you directly to see what options are available to resolve your control panel parts needs to a resolution. So that a dedicated case manager may contact you directly, please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name (Lehmo7), to reference your post to smadvisor@searshc.com. We apologize for the inconvenience and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

Mina H

3. In response to Lehmo7

The same thing just happened to mine a pop and then fire. I contacted sears and received a generic response from them something like sorry to hear your unhappy. unhappy no unsafe is the word my house could have burned if I was not home. It is clearly a defective product and sears will do nothing about it.

4. In response to Lehmo7

how can so many people have the same problem and no recall shame on you sears this is lives we are talking about. I will be calling my state attorney general as well

5. In response to Lehmo7

Hi there, Krdraper! I am so sorry to hear you had this issue with your range. I have passed your concern along to the SearsCares team, who will be by in a bit to help.

Keep us posted on any resolution you come to with the team!

Thanks!

6. In response to Lehmo7

Hi Krdraper,

Thank you for posting to bring to our attention about the troubles you have had with your range, we agree this is a serious matter that requires attention. Product recalls due to malfunction or risk of danger are published by the manufacturer and retailers like Sears would provide the guidelines as specified by the manufacturer. My name is Brian and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I have read your post and I am concerned about this issue. We would like to put you in contact with a dedicated case manager who will see what options are available to properly address this matter. Please send your contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name (Krdraper) to reference your post to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, thank you for posting about your range malfunction. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks,
      Brian R.

7. In response to Lehmo7

my contact info is K*** D**** 8**-5**-8*** the name and number for purchase is Gladys **** @ 8**-7**-7*** purchase date 10/23/2010 and screen name Krdraper.

8. In response to Lehmo7

Hi there, Krdraper! Thanks for the reply. I have forwarded your contact information on to the SearsCares team. Look to hear from someone soon!

**I also removed your personal information from appearing publicly on the site for your security.

Thanks!

9. In response to Lehmo7

Come on Sears really you said you were sending a service man at no charge to me only to be charged by him and calling sears did no good I was transferred to 5 different people. I guess you can't stand by what you say like you don't stand behind your product. I want a supervisor to contact me!

10. In response to Lehmo7

Hello Krdraper!

We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We truly understand your frustrations with the mishaps that occurred with your range repair. We have forwarded your posts over to your case manager for contact. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.
      My Sears Community Moderator

8. Just yesterday we were preheating our Kenmore Elite 790 and the control panel caught fire and spread to the wall. Thankfully I was in the kitchen and was able to grab a fire extinguisher in time. I have made numerous phone calls but because the unit is out of warranty I have been unable to get anywhere with Sears and Kenmore. They seam indifferent to the apparent risks that this unit poses. I found out that Frigidaire manufactured the KE790 that I have, and interestingly enough the serial number matches that of a Frigidaire recall for fire hazard.

1. In response to trifled

Hi there, trifled! Thanks for posting today. I have sent your concerns regarding your stove to the SearsCares team. A team member will be by shortly looking to help. Once a response is posted, I will be sure to send you an email to let you know.

Thanks!

2. In response to trifled

Hello trifled,

Thank for bringing this matter to our attention. This is something that concerns us and we would certainly like to look speak to you about your stove. We would be happy to connect you with one of our case managers to assist you. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (trifled), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking to you.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.

9. Oh my! This is def not the answers I was looking for. My oven (same model) had decided to go out as yours did. Same loud, explosion type noise from the oven and now only the range top works. I thought I would check here first before looking elsewhere for another range or a service person... glad to see that Sears has such terrible customer service and basically I will not get anything resolved!! If this is the case, this is the LAST place I will ever buy for any of my homes. ...

Robw235 ... did Sears resolve your issue? What was done and is the oven operational now?

blumrmaid7

1. In response to blumrmaid7

Hi there, blumrmaid7! Thanks for posting on MySears today. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with your oven. I have passed your concerns on to the SearsCares team, who will be by in a bit looking to help.

As soon as a response is posted, I will be sure to let you know via email.

Thanks!

2. In response to blumrmaid7

Hello blumrmaid7,

We are truly sorry to hear about all of the troubles that you are experiencing with your oven. I can certainly understand your frustration. As a valued Sears member, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further and be your one point of contact within Sears. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (blumrmaid7), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.

10. I have had the same issue twice. We purchased the range in 2008. The control panel burnt out in 2012 and was replaced. It has done the same thing again last week. There are many posts on this website with others having the same issue. Sears get behind your products and stop making us pay for repairs that you know are issues. This should definitely be a recall product.

1. In response to MacGuyvere

Hello MacGuyvere!
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this matter regarding your oven. We truly apologize for mishaps you have encountered with the control panel. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to assist with resolving this situation. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (MacGuyvere), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.

11. I have the same problem. Stove top works but nearly burned the kitchen down. I now have to fix a wall and customer service told me because the one year warranty is over the stove is on me. I was then transferred to another rep because I asked about the stove being on recall and she told me to google it and if I didn't see it on recall list to call back... this was followed by it might be best to get a new range due to fees if not on recall. WOW!! Looks like it maybe time to contact someone higher about this, last thing I need is to find that my house is on the news cause it burned down.

1. In response to LBM369

Hi there, LBM369! Welcome to MySears! Let us know the outcome once you speak to Sears Home Service.

1-800-295-4809

Thanks!

2. In response to LBM369

Some one called and e-mailed stating that this normally occurs after ~3 years of use. I did get a part number of which I will have to purchase myself because I don't have the >$200 protection from sears lemon plan. This could have cost me my home which means I will have to seek higher help on this.

3. In response to LBM369

Hi LBM369!

I am sorry to hear that this issue has not been resolved as of yet. I have escalated your concerns to our Sears Cares team to see if they can help in assisting you further.

Once a response has posted we will be reaching out via email providing a link back for contact with out Sears Cares team.

Thank you!

4. In response to LBM369

LBM369,
      We apologize for the trouble you’ve experienced with your range. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to have a case manager contact you directly to discuss this situation with you and assist in address your concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the range was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (LBM369) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
      David W.

5. In response to LBM369

We have had issues with all of our 4 year old Kenmore appliances which is really disappointing.We have the same oven, model 790, that has the same issues; stove top works, oven doesn't. We have had to have someone come out to fix a freezer problem, and just had to have the dishwasher re-wired because that had stopped working. We moved in to our house in 2010 and purchased all our Kenmore appliances at the same time, brand new at Sears, and have had issues with each. Too bad because I really liked Sears, but am disappointed with these products. May be time to look elsewhere.

6. In response to LBM369

Hi there, NHLiving! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry to hear your appliances have not lived up to expectations. I have passed your concerns along to the SearsCares team, who will reach out in a bit looking to help.

Once they post a response, I will be sure to let you know via an email which includes a link back to this thread.

Thanks!

7. In response to LBM369

Hello NHLiving,
      My name is Tony and I am with the Sears Cares team. We would like to first thank you for alerting us of the appliance troubles that you have been experiencing. The disappointment that you feel with each of your appliances needed service after instilling your trust in our products is absolutely understandable and we would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you and work on your behalf to make things right. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (NHLiving), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Thank you,
      Tony

8. In response to LBM369

I just had the broiler on my kenmore range stay on, thankfully I was home at the time as I don't think my wife would have been able to pull the unit out and unplug it, from what I've read on this blog there is nothing being done by sears except lip service, oh well, I will go by another as it doesn't seem that this unit can ever be trusted even if the control module has been replaced, and the risk doesn't equal the reward, it did last longer than the front loading wash machine that pooched after two years with bad (non replaceable drum bearings) too bad sears, too bad mongomery wards, too bad gambles, (and several american car companies) I'll never cross your threshold again.

9. In response to LBM369

Hi cattlewood and Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you taking the time in sharing your feedback with us in regards to your Kenmore range broiler.

Your concerns are important to us and we would like to help by having our Sears Cares team contact you personally on this issue.

Once a response has posted, we will be reaching out via email providing a link back for contact.

Thank you!

10. In response to LBM369

Dear cattlewood,

Thank you for taking the time to post about the safety concern you’re having with your broiler. It’s our goal to provide all of our members with safe and reliable appliances and can understand your disappointment not only with the broiler but with your washer as well. At this time we would be interested in speaking with you about these issues you’re having. Please send the following information – the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name to reference your post (cattlewood), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

Isaac D.
      MySears Community Moderator.

12. We had the same problem in our three year old model 790.97473805. We have replaced the control panel twice, and the second replacement lasted about 6 months before malfunctioning. Now, when we try to use the oven, the oven overheats, there is an error code, the unit beeps, and the oven heating element will not shut off unless we cut the power to the unit. Customer service said that there is nothing they can do (aside from me paying to have another control panel replacement)because the unit is now out of warrantee.

This unit has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. It is one thing for a unit to become nonfunctional, but this unit has become dangerous to use. I do not see the value in paying for a replacement control panel that, on average, lasts about a year before breaking. From this forum and others, it seems that his problem is common with this and similar units.

So, I'm giving Sears and Kenmore one last chance to make this right. Otherwise, this will probably be the last Kenmore appliance that my family purchases and the last time that I purchase an appliance at Sears.

1. In response to rconn199

rconn199 I am sorry to hear about the problem with your stove. I wish I had a better answer to this problem than I am not sure what is currently going on with your stove. The element staying on sounds like a stuck relay on the trouble making control board. This would trigger an error code. I did search the model number and did find some history of problems with the blue led lights on the ontrol but noting about the type of problem you and others on this site mention. Multiple failures within three years is unusual but I find no wide spread problem or fix for the problem. The model number 790 is a Kenmore product but it is not made by Kenmore. There are other sources such as 363, 665, 402 you might consider. Imediate problems can usually be found and repaired but problems that occur every couple of years can be difficult to pin down. I suspect a harness connection problem causing your grief but replacing the entire harness is a diffcult and expensive process. If the problem happens every year or so then you might try replacing the control yourself as a do-it-yourself project. I am sorry i have no definitive/certain answer to this problem. Thank you for the model number.

13. I am so sorry for the problem with your range. I am not aware of any recalls or wide spread problems but if you reply back with a complete model number I can search for any know issues with your particular model stove. The 790 is the beginning of the model number. Please reply with a complete model number so I can search history for any known problems.

14. I have the same problem. Stove top works perfect...oven is not heating properly. Stove is only 7 yrs old. Would like to know if this is a known problem or if there were recalls for this model.
    Do not want to replace an entire stove which is perfect otherwise because of manufacture error.

1. In response to Lprice233

Hi there, Lprice233! Thanks for your question today. I am going to see if the Appliance Experts have any insight as to the status of a recall or any tips on repair for your range.

The Expert will be by soon to post an answer. Once he does, I will send you an email to notify you of his response.

Thanks!

2. In response to Lprice233

I have experienced the same problem with my oven. I turned it on, heard a big pop, followed by a spark and out went the circuit breaker. The oven is out, but the stove top works fine. I called Sears and they were no help. I find it hard to believe, with all these posts I'm reading, that Sears can find no problem with this model. What a fire hazard!

3. In response to Lprice233

Hi localhauli! Welcome to MySears! I sent your concerns on to the SearsCares team, who will reach out here in a bit to see if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Once they post a response, I will be sure to let you know via an email which will include a link back to this thread.

Thanks!

4. In response to Lprice233

localhauli,
      My name is David and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. We are truly sorry that your oven has not met your expectations. I certainly can see why you are so disappointed with your range. We would be happy to contact you directly to discuss this with you and assist in addressing your concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (localhauli), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.
      Thank you,
      David W.

5. In response to Lprice233

I just had the same issue with my 10 year old Kenmore stove...model 790.92429301.after reading these posts, I removed control board and found a big burn spot between the circuit boards. from other posts, does not sound like this board is available any more

6. In response to Lprice233

Hi there, crawfco53! Thanks for your post. A SearsCares team member will be by shortly to help.

Keep us posted on the progress of your case!

Thanks!

7. In response to Lprice233

Hi crawfco53,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve encountered the same problems with your stove, and we appreciate you for taking the time to share it with us. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’d like to look into this issue and have one of our dedicated case manager’s help you getting this matter resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (crawfco53) phone # to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
      Edwin C.

8. In response to Lprice233

I would like to emphasize the importance of always turning off the power first before gaining access to any of the electrical components. Also before making any voltage checks, make sure the power is off when checking the wire connections. When it is suggested to disconnect and then connect a couple of wires together, make certain they are isolated properly, so when the power is turned back on, they do not come into contact with the panel or any other wires. In general I recommend following the safety notice below.

_Safety Notice_: Be sure to disconnect the appliance before performing any troubleshooting procedures. If you are not comfortable with doing any voltage checks or repairs that might be recommended, please contact a local service provider for repairs. Be aware that there could be sharp edges inside the appliance that could cause cuts or other injuries to yourself or others.

15. I'm glad I found this forum. I am very upset with the performance of my Kenmore 790 oven. It just turned 7 years old and the control panel went for the THIRD time on Christmas Day, as I was making dinner for 12 people.

As we tried to troubleshoot the problem, I got an error code and beeping. I turned the oven off but the broiler element wouldn't shut off. It just kept heating. My husband had to go out and flip the circuit breaker to turn it off. This is a serious fire hazard.

So imagine my surprise when I went online and found a TON of stories of Kenmore ovens with the same problem--the control panel going out, the broiler element staying on, oven catching on fire, cabinetry melting, etc.

So I called customer service and the guy wasn't helpful. He told me that since my most recent warranty expired after 90 days (by the way, I had the control panel replaced at the end of June--it worked for SIX MONTHS before going) and because I declined the service agreement, that there was nothing they could do unless I wanted to pay for it again. He told me that this is why they recommend the service agreement, since these things are covered. A little further conversation revealed that the service agreement is good for A YEAR and that's why you buy a new one every year, because it's "common" for these things to burn out every 6-12 months. Seriously?

I was really upset and asked to talk to someone higher than him but he told me that his superior, as well as the superior above him, would tell me the same thing. No service agreement and they can't help me.

I'm done with this thing. There's no way I'm paying to repair it a third time, and I'm not going to risk a fire. I can't believe there hasn't been a recall, much less a class action lawsuit. CPSC is definitely hearing from me.

1. In response to CambriaV

Hi CambriaV!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with us on this issue you are experiencing with your Kenmore appliance. We can truly understand your frustrations with this issue.

Your feedback is very important to us and has been escalated to our Sears Cares team for further assistance. Once one of our team members responds I will be reaching out via email to help in directing you back to your original thread for contact.

Again we thank you for taking the time to reach out!

2. In response to CambriaV

CambriaV,

Thank you for taking time to inform us about your recent experiences with Kenmore oven. We apologize for any frustrations you have experienced with recent control board issues you have encountered. My name is Kurt with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would be happy to look into this matter and have a case manager address any concerns you may have with your oven. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can look into this matter further. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the oven was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (CambriaV), you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
      Kurt M.

3. In response to CambriaV

Mine just went as well. I am just hoping against hope that I will not have repeated issues once it is replaced.

This really seems to be a common problem with the range and owners should not be subjected to a problem that should be deemed as a recall issue

4. In response to CambriaV

Hello Kurt,

I received a message from someone named Simone and she left a number and extension to call her back at, but when I called, the message indicated that the extension was for two different people (I think Ashley and Richard, maybe). I left two messages at that number this week and have received no return call.

5. In response to CambriaV

Hello CambriaV,

We thank you for informing us about this matter. I will forward your post onto your case manager and request a follow up call.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.

6. In response to CambriaV

I have the same problem. Over heating. Replaced the temp probe, same issue. We were cooking and smelled an electrical burn smell…. then we were no longer able to keep the temp from rising uncontrolled. should I abandon the stove/oven now? Sounds like a nightmare with multiple folks replacing the controller board - I'd rather put the money towards another unit I think….?

7. In response to CambriaV

Hi Texas.tx!

Have you been able to reach our Sears Home Services at 1-800-295-4809 to speak further on getting this stove/oven repaired?

Thank you!

16. My control panel has gone out 3 times! I'm trying to get a hold of the store manager but he won't call me back. My oven is about 3 yrs.old. This is ridiculous. Such poor customer service...I'm very disappointed.

1. In response to KbUr

Welcome to MySears, KbUr! I am sorry to hear about your range. I have passed your concerns on to SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. They will be happy to discuss your options with you.

A team member will be by in just a bit looking to help. Once they respond, I will let you know via email.

Thanks!

2. In response to KbUr

KbUr,
      My name is David and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your comment and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. We are very sorry to hear that you are having such a frustrating experience with your range. We certainly can see why you are so disappointed and upset over this situation. We would like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and assist you in addressing your concerns. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (KbUr), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com.
      Thank you,
      David W.

17. Robw235, my name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I saw your comment and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. We are very sorry to hear that you are having such a frustrating experience with your oven. We truly understand how disappointed you may be with the control panel failing. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, case #, screen name (robw235), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com to forward your concerns over to your case manager. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to SHC-LizR

Liz,

I have a Model #790 and experienced the same problem (control panel burned out) in November. I just got around to calling for reapir service today. I just purchased my oven in 2011. How is Sears dealing with this issue since this is not an isolated problem?

2. In response to SHC-LizR

Hi there, carmenbest40! Thanks for posting your concern regarding your range on MySears today. I have passed your thoughts along to SearsCares, the customer service escalation team. They will be happy to follow up with you on the issues you are having.

Once they respond on this thread, I will let you know via an email which includes a link directing you back.

Thanks!

3. In response to SHC-LizR

Dear carmenbest40,

We thank you for taking the time to let us know about this issue, and we’re sorry to hear that you’re having the same problem with your range control panel. We’d like to help and have one of our case managers contact you to assist you in this matter. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (carmenbest40), your phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward talking to you soon.

Thanks,
      Edwin C.

4. In response to SHC-LizR

Thanks Edwin. I sent the information today so I hope to hear from a case manager soon.

18. Hi robw235! Thanks for posting your question today on the MySears Community! We can get you in touch with a SearsCares team member who can discuss the issues you are having with your range and look into that recall for you.

A team member will respond shortly reaching out to help. Once they do, I will contact you via email so you can directly connect with a case manager.

Thanks!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from them so I can get this resolved.

See More