Question

Locating oil drain plug on 420cc Craftsman riding mower

Purchased mower for husband who had a couple strokes. Not sure now if I should have assumed he remembered everything, Went to change oil. Is the plug located below where you would fill the oil inserting a socket wrench (left rear side sitting on mower} as this does not turn and do not want to continue until I know for sure. Thank you.

Answers

7 answers

1. Anniesd, you are correct. The oil drain plug is located beneath the oil fill cap. You should also have an oil drai sleeve. This is a drain extension that fits under the drain hole and directs the oil to the oil collection container. Remember the oild should be collected and disposed of properly. I just want to add these comments to the great previous answer. Changing the oil is a great do-it-yourself project. Good luck to you and your husband.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Got it taken care of.Thank you for responding and to those below.
      Sorry to put an appreciation and a criticism together but but your responses are the only positive dealing with Sears and purchase. I do appreciate answering . There is no yellow cap anywhere as had seen that mentioned when researching EVERY site. Have a nice day everyone. (Always used a push mower)

2. In response to SHC-FredM

It's very odd that there wouldn't be yellow caps. Could you do us a favor and post a picture of your tractor's engine online? With gas engines, oil is traditionally (read: universally) signified by the color yellow, so anywhere oil goes in or out is capped in yellow. It would be unusual for a tractor engine to deviate from this convention. Obviously, you don't have to, but I'm personally curious to see this engine now. :)

3. In response to SHC-FredM

The 420 cc engine is found on the 25000, 29000, 28882 riding mowers and the CX Series 33 inch Wide Cut Mower Model 37488. They all have a simple square oil drain plug right below the filler tube. You are correct, some manufactures use yellow to signify oil fill or drain, it is not required in the small engine industry and many manufactures to do adhere to this tradition.

2. There will be a yellow cap at the bottom of either the left or right side of your mower's engine. That is where the oil drains out. The yellow cap visible on the top of the engine is where the oil goes in. Run the engine for a few minutes to warm the oil up so it will flow more easily out of the engine. Your mower's engine might have a short oil drain, in which case I'd recommend getting a funnel to drain the oil out so it doesn't end up all over the frame. Make sure the oil is disposed of by putting the dirty oil into the jug the new oil came in, and turn it in at an appropriate disposal facility. In either case, you won't need any hand tools to change the oil. However, you will need an oil filter wrench to replace the oil filter. When you change the filter, make sure you rub a little oil on the rubber seal on the filter before you install it. Empty the oil, remove the filter, install a new filter, close the oil drain, fill it with oil, put on the oil cap.

1. In response to BlueCrewGuyInMA

Had to stop back to apologize as knew where oil went in. The color yellow is in the eyes of the beholder. I see melon, lol. HAGD

3. It's a good idea to be cautious. anniesd! The Lawn and Garden Experts will be able to let you know the next step for changing the oil. If you could also post the model number, that would be helpful to ensure they are giving you the most accurate information.

Check back soon for a reply. Thanks!

See More