Question

It seems that with the latest “improvement” to the site, the normal log in procedure does not work. When trying to log in on the Community page, a “system error” message comes up on the log in page.

The only way I could sign in today was to go to the main Sears page, sign in there, and then come back to the community page. After being signed into the Sears main page, attempting to sign in here took me to a blank page, and navigating back (back button on the browser) brought up the community page with my being signed in.

I can see people trying to sign in, or register, and giving up

Answers

9 answers

1. Greetings BigMike!

I have no answer for your problem but I
    do have my own experiences that may relate.

I've been back, popping in on the MySears
    community for a few weeks now.
    I have run into the very same/similar login errors as you,
    and I manage to work around it similarly as you.
    I've heard during my past visits of two years ago that I may
    be using an incompatible browser (Firefox then)
    so I switched to internet explorer which fixed the problem...then.

Today I continue to use IE as version 9 and since my return
    to MySears, I've had login issues using IE 9.
    Besides the login errors you described I also experience the following situation:

I can navigate to MySears and attempt login, however the page spins for eternity it seems, eventually I gain access, being delivered to my "TheTradesman" page, but it is completely text only from top to bottom in one single left hand column. My fix is to log out and back in which remedies the situation...most of the time.

When all this is going on with MySears, I try login to my online banking and other accounts as a test. I's a quick snap to gain access to my accounts and other sites unrelated to Sears.

This morning was a good morning.
    MySears login was well behaved and compliant.
    The sporadic nature of one successful login and the next one being bad
    is what baffles me.

1. In response to TheTradesman

When a page shows just text on the left, rather than the complete layout, either the source page is corrupted, or more often there was a problem in the download of the page. Often refreshing the page will fix the problem.

The problem I have with IE is that is runs active X programs, and while some of these are fine, some can contain malware, spyware, Trojan Horse programs or viruses, that will install automatically when a web page is opened. Firefox and Chrome will not run those programs, providing a bit more safety while surfing.

Apparently there is a problem with the code to the log in page. I have not had the time nor inclination to view the page source code, but I would bet that the issue is either a mistyped command or a missing item.

2. Thanks for your feedback, BigMike! We are always looking to improve our member's experience. You may want to change your browser-that sometimes helps when having log in issues.

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

As someone who builds computers for fun and occasionally profit, I make my browser choices based on personal preference and security. I normally use Firefox, simply because it allows me to block annoying advertising much easier than certain other browsers.

Any company that cannot have their website work on the three main PC browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome) as well as with Apple products is making a huge mistake. A customer who has to change browsers to access a company website may just decide to change companies instead.

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

I have had similar experiences with this site, but mine are almost always cookie related. (I never delete them)

Mysears runs on Wordpress, so it was probably an ID cookie specific to this site that was corrupted.

3. In response to SHC-JulieK

No cookies for me, mine are deleted when the browser is closed. I thought it was just this computer that had problems with this site. I guess not.

4. In response to SHC-JulieK

Actually clearing all cookies did not solve the problem and the problem exists on three separate computers, thorough several ISPs, which tells me that there is a code problem, not a problem with my computer.

5. In response to SHC-JulieK

It hasn't happened today but I was getting "not found on this server". I would be able to get to the first landing page then if I clicked on anything else I'd get that error. Didn't happen all the time just sometimes. I thought at first I was being blocked.

6. In response to SHC-JulieK

While we are at it, The mobile version of this community is completely un-navigatable.

@ServiceLocally I have also encountered that error.