Question

Mower Repair Problem

I took my electric Craftsman mower (model 37016 I believe) into the service center located at 3630 E Front St, Kansas City, MO 64120 to be repaired on Monday November 12th, 2012 at 11am. It was only 18 months old (purchased on April 14th, 2011 with my Discover Card) and was under a 2 year parts and labor warranty. On Tuesday November 13th, 2012 I got a call from this service center employee (John I believe). He started the conversation by stating the mower I brought in yesterday, Sears no longer makes this product and can’t get parts. I did a search and found that this product is still being sold by certain Sears locations as found on the Sears web site ( http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-19inch-premium-electric-lawn-mower/p-07137016000P ).
Granted this unit is only 18 Months old and it’s something Craftsman made and is still available online so parts and the product should be available. Yet the repair representative told me it was not.
Then the Sears employee proceeds to tell me that since they can’t get parts they won’t repair the unit and I can either come pick it up or they will destroy the mower for me. I ask him how the mower credit will be applied since what I paid for had a warranty and if it will be credited toward another purchase in the store?
He said “NO” credit will be provided as he will just mark it up as I must have done something to make the mower motor assembly break. That he will write in his paperwork it is not any known defect in hardware so the warranty wouldn’t apply and Sears would not be responsible for crediting or replacing the mower. I asked him why they would mark it as something I did when there was no way for me to break internal bolts.
Again I told the Sears employee the mower bolts holding the blade and motor housing together snapped while mowing. I explained how “Lucky” I was the blade did not hit me, as when it separated from the broken motor housing it dug into the ground or else it could have caused major injuries! I asked him how I could have caused the bolts to snap? According to the Sears Repair Center Rep it’s not their problem and I need to come get my Craftsman Mower or they will just destroy it. Then he proceeds to tell me they have specials on new mowers and to talk with the manager to see if he might help me out finding a new one.
I again asked why they were not honoring their warranty and he stated I just needed to pick up my mower. Their refusal to honor a warranty, falsify documents negating the warranty and deceptive practices are unacceptable.
I realize this company profits from negating warranty claims and minimizing the loss to profits from pay outs yet this is ridiculous. To blame consumers and refuse to honor their Warranties is a pathetic and immoral way of handling customer service. I told John to hold onto my mower at the center until I speak with someone who can address this issue. I have contacted their customer care group and not been replied too. I have also requested the service manager call me back and no call has been received. Please address this issue and I will await your reply.

Answers

3 answers

1. BigTXPapa,
    We are terribly sorry for the disappointing experience you had most recently regarding the repair of your mower. Please know we are truly dismayed to learn of any miscommunication you encountered. I can understand your concern with having a properly working mower and knowing your warranty will allow for any necessary repairs. I would like to get you in contact with a member of our team so what we may look into this further and find a suitable resolution.
    At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your mower was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (BigTXPapa) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
    Zenaida M.
    MySears Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

2. Hi BigTXPapa! I am so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having getting your mower repaired. Check back on this thread soon for a reply from a SearsCares team member. They will do what they can to help. Thanks!

• San Jose, CA

What is the long model number of your mower?

See More