Question

My $2.8K fridge order was cancelled by Sears without a single word of notice hurting my 98 yr old mother

During the days between order and delivery many emails, awards points… No delivery. Three hours on the phone without any resolution. Worst shopping experience of my life. My wife is on oxygen and my mother needs special diet and cold drinks, has deep speech difficulties and only moves with the help of a wheelchair. We had an extremely difficult time waiting for delivery, then nothing. I really don’t know what I am going to do. Really horrible experience. Hours of listening to Sears people who have no interest in helping but really know their scripts. One employee, Ralph ID 24201 in delivery tried to create a solution but every attempt to work with the on-line people led nowhere until it was too late. Turns out the model was at the local store and could have come from there… When the phone connection died when Ralph handed us off to the on-line group, no one called back. We spent hours with supervisors who could only explain that they are unable to find ralph, unable to solve the problem.. etc. When I tried to just buy it again, that connection died and no one called back to take the credit card information again.. But of course they already had it and my phone number and the order number and the delivery address. The real fact is that someone in Sears broke our contract, didn’t notify anyone and everyone else just operates by script. Is there anyone who can find out who cancelled it and fire them. Can anyone help us get our order filled. I can’t go out to but one because I take care of two shut-in women who require constant attention. Buying on line with delivery seemed like a great idea until my experience with Sears…

Answers

5 answers

1. Dear kmhappel, it is our goal at Sears to provide our customers with the highest quality of products and customer service. I am sorry that we disappointed you. Since apologies don’t resolve your problems we’d like to look into this issue further and offer our assistance to help. At your convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (kmhappel), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com – We look forward to speaking to you.
    Dianne D.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

1. In response to SHC-DianneD

Dear Dianne D.

You sent me an email Sept 5 asking for information. I answered on Friday Sept 6 by reply to your email [smadvisor@searshc.com]. It included all the information you asked for... It is now Sept 10th. We have been without refrigeration for 10 days, 6 days since you said you were looking forward to speaking with me...

I am resending the information using this form in case you are unable to find the other mail. Although my email agent says your inbox got it before the message expired.

Here is the requested information.
      My phone 7**-6**-3***

Bought: on-line @www.sears.com website
      Order#: 553833461
      Order Date: Sept 1, 2013
      Delivery Date: Sept 4, 2013 between 6AM and 9PM
      Confirmed: email - Sun 9/1/2013 1:47 PM
      Shop Your Way: 125,000 points awarded for purchase

Sept 1, 330PM 800-326-8747 Ralph 24201 in delivery good guy he tried to help, found a fridge @ local store &
      could get it too us the same day if we could reorder
      it by phone. Ralph tried to hand off to John @on-line
      sales, he said he could not hear us, hung up and
      didn’t call back…

800-697-3277 Ashley 599632 supervisor on-line sales,
      she couldn’t find John or Ralph, informed us that
      the credit card transaction money would be returned
      by Sears and we would receive it in 10 to 16 days.
      That meant we couldn’t buy a second one anyway and
      Ralph’s plan could not have worked either…

I kept trying to explain that we needed
      the refrigerator, not an apology, BTW I heard exactly
      the same words from four people (nice script). Ashley
      explained that the order must have been cancelled by us,
      when that didn’t work she tried to claim the refrigerator
      must not be available or the credit card wasn’t approved.
      I explained that not only at the time of order but, an
      hour before Ralph had found one that could be delivered
      from our local store on the same day (I think he got
      someone to agree to drive it because they felt sorry
      for our situation and need). When we got to on-line
      the answer was there is no way it could be delivered.
      Of course, it was now two hours of apology scripts and
      reasons why they could not do anything later.

800-326-8747 retried delivery to find Ralph… got Athena
      She also tried to help but was unable to solve the
      money return time of 10 to 16 days…
      Since, until the money reaches Mom’s account we can’t buy
      another anything of this price, it looked like a month
      before until we can have fresh food of any type
      (only I can go shopping so we have to have a refrigerator
      or we can’t have fresh food).

So I wrote you…

My $2.8K fridge order was cancelled by Sears without a single word of notice hurting my 98 yr old mother
      During the days between order and delivery many emails, awards points… No delivery. Three hours on the phone without any resolution. Worst shopping experience of my life. My wife is on oxygen and my mother needs special diet and cold drinks, has deep speech difficulties and only moves with the help of a wheelchair. We had an extremely difficult time waiting for delivery, then nothing. I really don’t know what I am going to do. Really horrible experience. Hours of listening to Sears people who have no interest in helping but really know their scripts. One employee, Ralph ID 24201 in delivery tried to create a solution but every attempt to work with the on-line people led nowhere until it was too late. Turns out the model was at the local store and could have come from there… When the phone connection died when Ralph handed us off to the on-line group, no one called back. We spent hours with supervisors who could only explain that they are unable to find ralph, unable to solve the problem.. etc. When I tried to just buy it again, that connection died and no one called back to take the credit card information again.. But of course they already had it and my phone number and the order number and the delivery address. The real fact is that someone in Sears broke our contract, didn’t notify anyone and everyone else just operates by script. Is there anyone who can find out who cancelled it and fire them. Can anyone help us get our order filled. I can’t go out to but one because I take care of two shut-in women who require constant attention. Buying on line with delivery seemed like a great idea until my experience with Sears…

Since the phone calls on the promised delivery date, the website customer order manager page now says the unit is unavailable even though the website said there was stock available at the time of order, no unavailable warning or email during the wait & the delivery dept. found one at a local store four days later.

Today I got an e-mail which contradicts everything I was
      told in the above calls. Vern B, Sears Online Customer
      Care informed us that the payment for the fridge would
      be returned within 72 hours, unless our bank slows it
      down (he warns).

Hmm, either everyone @Sears lied to us about the ten to sixteen days or, (since Sept 1 when the order was cancelled) it will it have been 10 days from the cancelled moment to the end of Vern’s 72 hours. Worst is that Vern’s customer care email completely ignores the real problem… we need Sears to send us the refrigerator.

My wife is a former psychiatric nurse who was attacked by a
      psychiatric patient and lives on a fixed disability income.
      My mother is 98 and lives on social security and a teacher’s pension. I am unemployed and after 600+ job interviews since 2002, have no income. One consequence of our fixed income, we can’t afford the refrigerator without the 40% discount that was available on Sept.1st. We have been waiting for months while saving money and were hoping to wait a little longer but our previous refrigerator, also a Kenmore, died.

Because both Mom and my wife, Lynne, are nearly immobile, I take care of them both. We have to have a large refrigerator because I cook all their meals, I grow food because of our limited income, I clean, I take care of them physically (wheelchairs, oxygen bottle, nebulizers, etc.) and I only make it out of the house less than once a week. Buying a smaller unit creates another whole set of problems of its own or we would have done that.

So when we saw the Labor Day discounts, we ordered it. We knew the payment was good because during the order taking process you validated our card’s ability to pay (We know because we had a call from Bank of America’s fraud dept. during the order process and had to tell them Mom really wanted to spend 2008.05 with you. BTW they validated that the transaction went through, so you got your money.

The on-line order process also checked the unit’s availability at our local store(the one I had to select before I could order and the same one that the website said had units available during the order).

We don’t need an apology, we don’t need our money back, we don’t need a lawsuit. We need Sears to keep its word and contract. I have thrown away $1200 of food that we couldn’t save past the delivery date. The house looks like a war zone (and smelled like it after the food rotted), we live on delivery take out.

We had friends move all the furniture around & into the living room so the new refrigerator could be easily moved down halls into the kitchen (this is a requirement of your order confirmation directions to make sure it can fit). No one is sleeping, my 98 year old Mom is in tears, my wife is in breakdown and I can’t solve this alone.

We didn’t cancel the order, we didn’t know it had been cancelled, no one gave us even the slightest warning. If I had not called you, we would be waiting still. The call process is beyond belief, we were on the phone for at least three and a half hours, much of it waiting to talk to customer care who apologized and then demonstrated that at the end of the day, there is no one who actually
      can solve problems that don’t fit the script. Asking for supervisors means you get a more skilled reading of the same script not a person with more authority to help..

We still need exactly what we ordered, at the price we paid for it and to have it installed as expected. I have founded a publicly traded company, created hundreds of jobs and been a CEO/CTO for 40 years. If someone had told me this story then, I would not have believed it.

Isn’t there somebody anybody in the whole of Sears that can cause that to happen, cause Sears to honor its word and contract and get a refrigerator to us ASAP. I will personally guarantee
      your payment or will do whatever is needed to get refunded money back to you, but please get the refrigerator to us, install it and take the old one away. I just can’t get out and go shopping for refrigerator deals and every day like this is a complete nightmare).

2. Hi kmhappel,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear of this experience you have encountered and the numerous attempts in helping to get this issue resolved.

We appreciate you reaching out to on this issue and would like to help you further.

I have escalated your concerns to our Sears Cares team for they will do what they can in making it right for you. Once they respond, they will be requesting additional information for which once received will be given to a dedicated case manager. By having a case manager will help in eliminating all the phone calls for which you have just experienced.

We ask that you please check back periodically for a response from one of our team members.

Again, we appreciate you reaching out and bringing this issue to our attention!

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Dear Wendy, I keep checking back, its now 11 days, answered the Dianne D. request for info on the 5th (the same day I got it) nothing

2. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

kmhappel,

We’re sorry that you had not gotten a response to this situation. We were not able to find the original email but I have taken the information you posted and forwarded it to our case management staff to have a case manager contact you as next one becomes available. Once again we are truly sorry and look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
      David W.
      MySears Community Moderator

See More