Question

My Craftsman garage door opener will raise the door but will not close. The first time this happened it was below zero temps, reversed almost immediately. No blockage of the sensors. Manually closed the door, and the drive would work fine with the door not attached. Had trouble reattching the door for the next 3-4 days, the chain would just move along without grabbing the door to open or close it. After an increae in temps, it caught/locked and worked fine for about a week. Now wont close again, goes down about a foot before reversing now. I notice though that there is no flashing of the bulb, as it would if the sensors were blocked. Just remains steady. Temps have dropped again but not to below zero, and probably to about where they were when it started working again from the first time. I cannot say if the light blinked during the first episode or not.

Answers

2 answers

1. Hello mitchdv, I'm sorry you are having this problem with the garage door opener. Unfortunately, without the model number, I will only be able to provide some general information. This could be a problem with the down limit on the machine is too low or the door is too hard to operate or there is something wrong with the door. When the temperature is getting down excessively cold, there may be sections that could be contracting and causing this problem with the door. The rpm sensor may be bad and may need to be replaced or it may just need to be adjusted. Also check the wiring to the rpm sensor for a loose or poor connection. You need to look closely at the wiring to the safety sensors to see if it is broken or pinched by a staple. I hope this will help you.

2. Hi there, mitchdv! Thanks for providing so many useful details so the Garage Door Opener Expert can help to troubleshoot. If you could also share the model number of the opener, that would be good for him to know, as well.

The Expert will be by in a bit with an answer. Once he posts, I'll send you an email letting you know so you can view his response right away.

See More