Question

My craftsman tractor would not start so under the advice of a previous post I used a flat blade screw driver to jump the solenoid and it started right up. My question is what can I look for as the problem since it worked with the screw driver trick? Also can I continue to start the tractor this way without harming it?

Answers

2 answers

1. JPF2772,
    I am glad to hear you were able to start the tractor. I do not recommend that you keep starting the tractor this way. The continuous shorting of the studs could make it difficult to remove the wires if you need to. I recommend diagnosing the reason the engine will not start with the key. To do that you will need to check the voltage on the white wire between the ignition switch and the solenoid with the key in the start position. While a helper holds the key in the start position, place one meter lead on the negative terminal of the battery. Touch the other lead to the white wire on the back of the ignition switch. If you have a 12-volt reading, follow the white wire to the next connection. Continue to check along the line until you loose the 12 volts. The problem will between the point you had the voltage and lost it.

If you do not feel confident fixing this yourself you can have it repaired at your home. If would like to schedule service, please call 1-800-469-4663.

Thank you Mark

2. Hi JPF2772,

Thanks for posting the question! We will have one of our experts answer your question at the earliest. Keep checking this thread.

Thanks!