Question

My garden tractor model 917.274041 quite running. It will start in neutral, blade disengaged and brake set BUT as soon as I release brake engine dies (with a backfire). What could be problem>

Answers

3 answers

1. Hi Bedly! Thanks so much for posting your question today. We appreciate you also including your model number-that is super useful in getting this accurately answered. A Lawn and Garden Expert will visit shortly to respond with a suggestion or two to get your tractor up and running properly. Check back soon for a reply!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Hello Bedley, the most common reason for the issue you have described is a malfuntioning seat switch. It is loscated under the seat and if it becomes dusty of rusted , movement on the seat will cause the engin to die. Check that out first and let me know what you find.
      Ron H.

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

THANKS for the help.

I found that the CONNECTOR was at fault. The connector shorts the two leads together when disconnected. This is the first connect I have seen that did this. Most connectors are OPEN when disconnected.
      I ended up putting connector on switch then putting a tie wrap around them to keep connector tight on switch.

Thanks for the help, and hope this helps others.

See More