Answers

13 answers

1. Hello mmorr54,

I would like to assist you with your F10 error. First, check the model number of your range. If it begins with "790.9xxxxxxx", then the F10 Error code means the oven has detected a "runaway temperature" problem and normally shuts down as a safety precaution. It is likely there's a problem with the control board or the temperature sensor.
    You can have it repaired at your home by a Sears technician. by calling 800-469-4663 of visiting searshomeservice.com However, if you are comfortable conducting resistance checks using a multimeter, replacing the control board or temperature sensor is not difficult.
    Be sure that you switch off the circuit breaker / fuse, and unplug the range before accessing internal components. For all of these checks, you do not need to plug in the range at all.
    Just to make sure, conduct a quick visual inspection of the bake and broil elements inside the oven cavity before you begin. It's unlikely this is the problem, but if you see a physical break or damage to the elements, or charred spots around the frame or oven cavity, then the damaged element should be tested and replaced if necessary.
    If the elements are not damaged, the normal troubleshooting for this problem involves checking the oven temperature sensor probe first. You can check that sensor with a multimeter. Keeping the range unplugged, access the sensor probe. You don't have to remove the sensor to test it, just unplug the wire harness connection. You should measure around 1100 ohms at room temperature (75 degrees). If the resistance of that sensor is significantly higher than that (2500 ohms or above), then the oven sensor for your specific model will need to be replaced. You can order parts from searspartsdirect.com
    If the sensor is okay, reattach the wire harness to the sensor. The next step is to test the entire sensor circuit from the Clock Control Board, which would indicate if there is a problem with either the board or the wiring harness. Access the Clock Control Board through the back of the range. With the range still unplugged you can remove the 15 pin plug and check the resistance through the entire sensor circuit. Use your multimeter probes to test resistance through the violet wires. In this situation if you measure approximately 1100 ohms, that indicates a problem with the board, and a very high ohm reading (2500 ohms or greater) indicates a problem with the harness. If you need to replace the clock control board, you may want to order a new overlay, unless you can reuse the original one. Removing the overlay can be tricky, so be very careful.

Please let me know if you would like any further assistance.

JerryTech

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

In response to SHC-JerryC

With the new timer in place and senser ohmed out at 1100. @75 degrees it's heating up over the set point by 70 degrees. What should I check now?

1. In response to SHC-JerryC

Eroy, if the sensor ohmed out ok and it still overheats, the control will need to be replaced. For more model specific information, you can reply back with the complete model number and we will be glad to assist you further.

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

I just put a brand new timer in and the temperature is running over by 30 degrees. What should I look for now?

2. In response to SHC-JerryC

Hi eroy!

Do you have a model number for this unit? It will be most helpful to our Experts in helping to provide more specific information.

Thank you!

3. In response to SHC-JerryC

eroy, As I understand the problem the sensor ohms okay and the control/timer is new but the oven is off by 70 degrees. A model number would be very helpful. Most ovens with electronic controls can have the oven temperature adjusted up or down. The oven should try to maintain a steady temperature. If the oven temp is set at 300 degrees then the oven will go above that befor it shuts off. I do agree that 70 degrees is to high but first I would try to adjust the oven temp down. The adjustment instructions should be in the owners manual. Please provide a model number for the most complete answer.

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

My model # is 79097432801 and I don't see the calibration of the control in my manual

Thanks again
      Eugene

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

Where can I find the ohm values at a certain temperature?
      Eroy

4. In response to SHC-JerryC

Hi Eugene!

I have forwarded your updated information on to our Sears Experts for further assistance.

Thank you for providing the model number!

5. In response to SHC-JerryC

There is a calibration mode. First set the oven at 350 degrees. Let the oven cycle on and off at least 5 times to get an average temperature. Then press clear to cancel the cycle. While in a non cooking mode press and hold theBake keypad for 6 seconds. The current offset should show in the window. Use the number keypad to enter the temperature offset. Try 35 degrees to start. You can use the Clean keypad to change the offset from + to -. The + sighn will not display. Press the Start keypad to lock in the change. The Stop or Clear keypad will erase the code so you can start over if needed. At 75 degrees F the resistance of the sensor should be1091 ohms plus or minus5.3 ohms. At 250 degrees the resistance would be 1453 ohms.

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

At 72degrees I got 1081ohms is that good?

6. In response to SHC-JerryC

At 75 degrees the ohm reading should be 1091 with a plus/minus range of5.3 ohms. One of the previous replies indicated the oven temp was only off by 30 degrees. If this is correct then calibrating the oven per previous instructions should help. Do you still get the F10 code when ever the oven is used? I am sorry for the back and forth but the sensor checks okay and you have already replaced the control so additional information may help pin the cause of the problem down.

• eroy
        • East Middlebury, VT

I want to thank you all for helping me out. After recalibrating the timer the stove worked very well. So thank you again.

See More