Question

Only 5 months after warranty I have the famous F2E2 on my top of the line Kenmore Elite dishwasher. What do I do?

Answers

35 answers

1. My Kenmore Elite dishwasher failed with the F2E2 code tonight. Water leaked under it and into my basement. I can see where the output from the base of the tub has separated from what I am assuming is the pump unit.

Purchased November 2012.
    Model 665.13862K015
    Serial F22604132

I am told I will be charged for someone to come out and look at it, but it appears the warranty states that defective parts will be free of charge. I paid more for what I believed was a better product. Not one that would fail less in less than 2 years. I don't know what else may be wrong with it, but I am willing to put the work in to fix it if I can find out more details on what appears to be a fairly common problem. From the other comments here, it would appear I have one that is more susceptible to this issue. How can I get more info? Is there a redesigned clamp for between the tub and the motor? With the water spraying out under the unit (mine was completely disconnected), what else likely was damaged (other than my home)? Can I get these parts to fix it myself?
    Any help would be appreciated.

1. In response to Erick6

Hi Erick6!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to our Experts! I have forwarded your concerns so that they can help with troubleshooting methods with you to try.

I will be reaching out via email to help in directing you back to this thread once a response has posted.

Feel free to reach out with as many questions as you need!

Thank you!

2. In response to Erick6

Erick6, a water leak under the unit could the the cause for the error. Repairing the leak may correct this problem. The information listed by Fred is very good. The issue with the F2/E2 error code on these models is caused by moisture. There are two areas that were identified as areas of concern that are causing the error. First the connection in the console where the 6-Pin connector is located can get a buildup on the connection and harness. Some can be cleaned and will work fine, but others may be so corroded that cleaning will not help, and for those you will need to replace the Harness, and or Control as needed. The second scenario we have seen is the hose coming off on the sump allowing moisture to get into the connection at the motor. Again you will have to inspect the connector at the motor and the harness connector for corrosion build up and clean or replace as needed. The problem may be the harness but check the connections at the motor first. I hope this will help you.

If more assistance is required, to help avoid any confusion, I suggest submitting your own question as it's getting difficult to track on this thread.

3. In response to Erick6

Thanks for the info. I submitted my own question and asked for some more info. Thanks!
      https://www.sears.com/community/questions/kenmore-elite-dishwasher-is-experiencing-the-f2e2-error-looking-for-repair-info/

2. we're also 10 months out of warranty and had the F2E2 error show up. I opened the machine and cleaned the corrosion off the board and connectors with some rubbing alcohol. I reconnected things and it worked! Until…. halfway through the cycle it came up again. apparently didn't address where the moisture is coming from(?). is it the flimsy plastic shield over the board that's usually the culprit? I noticed they have replaced the original part with a new design - does that have better moisture protection than the old design? I'll buy a new control board if I have to but I'd like to know that $250 part will fix the issue. any help would be appreciated!

1. In response to jwolfg

Hi jwolfg,

Do you by chance know the model number to your unit? This may be helpful to our Sears Appliance Experts in helping to answer your inquiry.

Once one of our Experts responds I will be reaching out via email to help in directing you back to this thread.

Thank you!

2. In response to jwolfg

The issue with the F2/E2 error code on these models is caused by moisture. There are two areas that were identified as areas of concern that are causing the error. First the connection in the console where the 6-Pin connector is located can get a buildup on the connection and harness. Some can be cleaned and will work fine, but others may be so corroded that cleaning will not help, and for those you will need to replace the Harness, and or Control as needed. The second scenario we have seen is the hose coming off on the sump allowing moisture to get into the connection at the motor. Again you will have to inspect the connector at the motor and the harness connector for corrosion build up and clean or replace as needed. The problem may be the harness but check the connections at the motor first.

3. In response to jwolfg

model #665.13973K015

4. In response to jwolfg

what might the fact that i was able to get it working after cleaning the corrosion point to? we had a small amount of water in front of the machine but not the amounts I've seen others describe. totally dry underneath. the moisture seems to be in the door panel then dripping down.

5. In response to jwolfg

Thank you for the updated information. Cleaning the connections and the unit working indicates that the connections were the problem. If the water seems to be dripping from the inside of the door panel then the vent gasket may have failed. You can remove the vent to check this gasket. You can also remove the outer door panel to check for evidence of a leak from the vent. Reply with the serial number and I can check if this unit has an updated control board.

6. In response to jwolfg

thank you for the help! the serial number is F22109004.

7. In response to jwolfg

I am sorry for the problem. The 665.139..K model with serial F1 to F2 is a model that we see the F2E2 error more than we would like. There is not a known problem at this time but moisture in the console or moisture in the motor area can cause corrosion which will cause this problem. Between the motor and sump is a small hose with metal hose clamp. The clamp may fail and a small leak can develope causing corrosion on the motor harness where it connects to the motor. You would want to check on this. Only a few models seem to have the problem. If the moisture corrosion is found in the console then check the vent gasket has not failed. If the corrosion seems to be at the motor connection then check the hose clamp on the pump outlet hose. I hope this helps.

3. This just happened to me today. F2E2 error came up as I slept. My daughter woke me up only after my entire kitchen floor was flooded with water. All of my hardwood in my kitchen is now raised up and the water went through my floor into my finished basement ruining my ceiling and on a laptop. I called sears and the rep said sorry but your warranty ended at the end of February. 15 days after warranty and over 1000 spent on the machine and I get sorry you are past your warranty. This machine has had problems from day one. The top rack is made of cheap plastic parts and has now failed three times. This is the second leak I've had. Sears is charging me to come out tomorrow to look at the problem and if they don't take ownership and fix the problem completely I will never purchase Kenmore again and will probably cancel my card with them. I thought Kenmore was different when it came to quality construction and customer service. I wish I would have reviewed the product better.

1. In response to brianbrooks1013

My machine is a Kenmore elite

2. In response to brianbrooks1013

Hi brianbrooks1013!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and bringing your concerns to our attention.

This issue is important to us and has been forwarded to our Sears Cares team to reach out to you personally to help in resolving.

Once a response has posted an email will be sent in providing a link back for contact.

Thank you!

3. In response to brianbrooks1013

brianbrooks1013,

Hi, my name is Brian with the Sears Cares team. We're sorry to hear about your dishwasher failing and flooding your kitchen. There's no doubt that this would be upsetting to you or anyone. We would definitely like to speak with you and see what options are available to assist you. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (brianbrooks1013) and phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we apologize for any trouble this has caused and we look forward to speaking with you.

Thank you,

Brian H.
      MySears Community Moderator

4. In response to brianbrooks1013

An update on my issue. The repair tech just left my house only after collecting $137. The sears rep I had on the phone last night told me that she was going to credit $65 but the tech could not find the note and charged me for the full repair. I should have recorded the call. It was a faulty seal that broke from poor engineering and construction that caused the flooding. Waiting on sears to get back to me on what they plan to do about the issue. Approximately 40 feet of my solid wood floors are damaged.

5. In response to brianbrooks1013

brianbrooks1013,

We'll forward this post over to your case manager requesting further assistance with this billing issue.

Thank you,
      Isaac D.
      MySears Community Moderator

4. Our Kenmore Elite failed during the warranty period. Sear's has failed to resolve the issue. The unit has caused water damage to our sub-floor. We are in the process of securing an engineer and a water restoration company to repair the damage to our home by this defective dishwasher.
    All of the bad experiences which has involved 7 exhausting calls to the customer service line has left me with one conclusion. Be proactive.
    I am not paying for a defective machine and the subsequent damage to my home. the service repair waits and deliberate antagonism against the consumer leaves me with no choice but to react strongly. I recommend recording all calls to the service line, photo documenting all damage including the disabled motor and poor quality manufacturing, sending all documentation to your local and national news channels, to consumer reports and then going to the closet store to play back the tape for all prospective clients to hear their great customer service line and conduct your next service call right there in the middle of the store on a busy Saturday. Let them know that they messed with the wrong person and that consumer rights in this country sometimes require creative measures.

1. In response to Standup

Hi Standup!
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this matter. We apologize that you are having such an upsetting experience with your dishwasher. We would be happy to have a case manager contact you and address your concerns. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Standup), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.
      My Sears Community Moderator

2. In response to Standup

Liz: The time to take care of my complaint was yesterday. The part in question is nickel part. Consult your engineer and issue a redesign immediately. I have done as I said. I just received my refund. I will be talking to your claims department as well as issuing a claim with my home insurance. The insurance company will send this to the subrogation department which will certainly make a determination that this is a defective design. It should make it easier for other consumers to get Sears to honor their warranties. This machine was designed to fail with the hopes of increasing the frequency of purchase. Build America back with good and reasonable business practices.

3. In response to Standup

Standup,

Thank you for your feednack. We will ensure that your case manager receives your message.

Thank you,

Jack C.
      My Sears Community Moderator

5. We have been using the Kenmore elite for the past 13 months or so and had this code show up last night. I pulled the unit out and found water everywhere. The clamp on the sump pump came off. IMO the pump isn't secured adequately and when it gets shook loose from the mount the weight of it pulls it off the connection. I re-secured it and put on one of my own hose clamps, unplugged it over night and it's working normally so far today. Hope it lasts.

1. In response to Hawkeyechap

Hi Hawkeyechap!

Please keep us posted.

Thank you!

2. In response to Hawkeyechap

Just had the same clamp come off my 18 month old machine. Design is the pits in my opinion. Pump and motor only supported by 1 little rubber button and the 2 hoses. A sure to fail design. Fixed it but now have code F2E2 which suggests wet connection. Going to let it dry over night and see if that works.

6. The F2E2 error can be frustrating. The problem is the User Interface is not communicating with the main control board. This error is mainly caused by a poor connection. Moisture can cause corrosion to form and prevent a good connection.

The issue with the F2/E2 error code on these models is caused by moisture. There are two areas that are areas of concern that are causing the error. First the connection in the console where the 6-Pin connector is located can get a buildup on the connection and harness. Some can be cleaned and will work fine, but others may be so corroded that cleaning will not help, and for those you will need to replace the Harness, and or Control as needed. The second scenario seen is the hose coming off on the sump allowing moisture to get into the connection at the motor. Again you will have to inspect the connector at the motor and the harness connector for corrosion build up and clean or replace as needed.

If the corrosion build up is found at the control in the console, the tech will need to locate and repair the source of the moisture leak into the console or the issue will come back.

I would suggest a technician check this problem. Bad connections can be difficult to find even for a technician. The control or harness may be needed but most likely corrosion is the cause of this problem.

7. I am having the similar problem with my Dishwasher Model #2213963K015. The LCD has the same error from water damage to the electronics.

The pump hose clamps and connection are defective with no "recall" notice I can find. I have the "double" "Pump Hose Clamp Kit." That kit documentation
    will be important evidence as to Sears knowing about this defect. It has leaked behind the cabinet and under the unit.

It has sprayed and flooded the electronics taking out the control panel and causing the error. It is now an electronics fire hazard. I have the extended warranty. Sears has a new angle to avoid repair. The tech declared my dishwasher as not accessible, and it will not be fixed until I uninstall it!! (Even though we paid for the Sears installation!!) That is the most fraudulent part of this problem.

Even though Sears installed it, he declared it not accessible. This tech left my unit sticking out 4-5 inches totally unmounted and disconnected. By chance we found out what he wrote in his service call report. He lied. The first tech before him, contributed to the flooding by turning on the unit. At least he didn't lie about it. Now this second tech won't remove the unit so we can assess the water damage. No repair, replacement, or anything is anticipated. We will exhaust the last attempts with Sears so we can tell the judge that we did what was reasonable and kept good documentation, research, and evidence, and most importantly we were patient, professional, and trusting of Sears to do the right thing.

Bottom line: Don't buy Sears appliances. We have entered the Sears customer service system with no success. It's amazing.
    We have a 5-year extended warranty and the unit was only 14 months old with light use. Interesting tactic to declare the unit inaccessible. I have not heard of that contrivance to avoid warranty responsibilities.

We have received a total run around, and have revealed the tactic that Sears is using to stall and frustrate the customer until they give up. We have documented this, and it will serve as "punitive" damage claims in addition the general damages. Watch out for these service techs. A few are NOT on your side and cannot be trusted.

1. In response to hitechpi

I have been working on getting my dishwasher back up and running for over a month. June 7th, the pump hose came off while running and flooded my kitchen. I found the loose connection and restarted the dishwasher to get the F2E2 error. My dishwasher is not even a year old... so I assumed that this was going to be no big deal. The technician came, saw the issue and struggled to figure out that the control module must have been faulty. He ordered the part, and I was told that it would be delivered to my house by the 20th. Then I received a call that the part was back ordered, and that Sears was working with Whirlpool to get the part expedited. I was given a escalation case number and assured that if I did not receive the part within 21 days of the order being placed... a new dishwasher would be provided to me. At the 21 day limit, I called the escalation number, and I was told that I should have been told it takes 28 days until I would be "eligible" for a replacement dishwasher. On July 2, I was called by the customer service representative that I would be eligible for a replacement dishwasher because Whirlpool still has no commit for the part. I was told that the earliest delivery for the dishwasher was the 16th of July, and that I would receive an email notification with the delivery. I just received the email yesterday (the 8th) and it stated that I would have the dishwasher on the 18th. Today, Sears called me and said that I would not be able to have the replacement dishwasher until the 23rd!
      At the end of the call, the person on the line actually tried to solicit me for additional services! At this point I will NEVER buy another product from Sears!!!!!!!!!!

2. In response to hitechpi

PREVENT FRAUD AND CUSTOMER ABUSE: RECORD ALL CALLS TO SEARS CUSTOMER SERVICE LINE.

I was told that they were not responding because i did not purchase the extended warranty. They have lied to us as well.

Shame on them! Who are these people who are supporting this bad behavior and how do they sleep at night. Our first generation of Sears appliances had to be retired. The guy who runs this department is certain to be making a fortune off our misery. I would like to see him interviewed.

3. In response to hitechpi

I recommend recording all calls to the service line, photo documenting all damage including the disabled motor and poor quality manufacturing, sending all documentation to your local and national news channels, to consumer reports and then going to the closet store to play back the tape for all prospective clients to hear their great customer service line and conduct your next service call right there in the middle of the store on a busy Saturday. Let them know that they messed with the wrong person and that consumer rights in this country sometimes require creative measures. I have done as I said. I just received my refund.

• San Jose, CA

We had a dishwasher fuse go out once, with the service tech carrying a spare fuse in his van.

Now, getting to that fuse looked fairly complicated.

And, what I was shown as a "fuse" didn't look like anything I had seen before.

The service call was a good idea.

8. In general, the F2 E2 is a code that signifies a user interface issue. The User Interface cannot communicate with main control.This could be a loose connection or it could be a defective User Interface.I would recommend having a technician check this. Unless you feel confident in your repair skills, I recommend calling 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out.

1. In response to SHC-ScottD

Hi Scott'
      Can you elaborate a little bit? Where is the connection? What is a user interface? I think I can replace parts if I know what I am looking for.
      I had the control board replaced two times under warranty. Now, 1 month out, it's giving the F2E2 again. Sears wants $229 to come out again.

2. In response to SHC-ScottD

CPA2004, the connections I'm referring to are where the wires connect to both the main control board and the interface control board. The interface control board is the display control, where you make the selections. The interface board then sends the signal to the main board. I hope this helps you.

3. In response to SHC-ScottD

Bought a Kenmore Elite microwave oven and an Elite Dishwasher in less than 2 years. The microwave oven wouldn't run 3-4 months ago. The Dishwasher is having the F2E2? code. Very disappointed. My American Express card refund me the microwave oven. Need to contact them again for the dishwasher. I don't know it is worth to fix it or not.

Had good impression with Kenmore before. Will be very careful when buy kenmore in the future.