Question

Posted my issue with a double charge on my credit card for a dryer, the double charge was because sears website cannot figure out which states should charge for installation. Called multiple times. A Sarah called to say that she called my local store who delivered my dryer as they are supposed to credit me and she would follow up. Big surprise still no credit or follow up. When I called again today , twice, one person just disconnect while on hold for 20 minutes, the next one first had the nerve to tell me to.call the store. I BOUGHT IT ONLINE WHY DO I HAVE TO CALL A STORE

Then she wanted me to wait another 7 to 10 day!! For their error. Fed up. Filing charges with BBB and possible fraud charges.

Answers

28 answers

1. I wonder if this is a common trend with online orders? I ordered a yard tractor and just noticed that they double charged my credit card too! This is definitely fraud IMO. I sent a complaint via e-mail which said they normally answer in 8 hours .... well it's approaching 12 hours and still no answer. I'll probably cancel my order and NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING ONLINE FROM SEARS AGAIN. You can also count on me warning my friends about this lowly tactic of Sears. My only regret is not seeing this post sooner!

1. In response to mdl96789

Hi mdl96789!

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us on reaching out for assistance for a double charge to your account.

I am putting you in touch with our Sears Cares team so that a dedicated case manager can work with you personally in getting this taken care of for you.

Once a response has posted I will be sending an email with a link back to your thread to help in making contact with our team.

Again, we thank you for bringing this issue to our attention!

2. In response to mdl96789

Hello mdl96789,

Thank for bringing this matter to our attention. This is something that concerns us and we would certainly like to contact our business partners to look into why you were doubled charged for your dryer. We would be happy to connect you with one of our case managers to assist. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the dryer was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (mdl96789) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We hope to talk to you soon.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.
      MySears Community Moderator

3. In response to mdl96789

Well, Dianne D, this seems like an automatic response since it's obvious you did not read my initial reply. Had you read it, you would have noticed that I did not purchase a DRYER but a YARD TRACTOR (I don't see how you can mix up the two unless like I suggested, this is just an automatic reply). I'm a little leery about giving out my phone number since I've read that Sears has a nasty habit of making unsolicited sales calls (this applies to spam emails too). I e-mailed Sears Customer Service with all of my complaint and Order No. which has all of the pertinent information. If I do not get a reply soon, I will be cancelling the order and instructing my bank to halt payment on the credit card.

4. In response to mdl96789

Dear mdl96789,

My apologies for my error. We have received your email address and will have a case manager contact you regarding this issue where your credit card was doubled charged when you ordered your tractor. Again my apologies.

Thanks,
      Dianne D.

5. In response to mdl96789

This is starting to get weird. I just received a message (missed the call) that my problem was looked into and according to your (Sears) file, my account was charged only once for the proper amount. Yet when I check my order status, it clearly shows that an amount exactly double the total amount was charged to my cc. The caller suggested I check with my financial institution on how a double charge could have occurred. Checking my online bank account status, I have exactly the doubled amount no longer available to me. This tells me that the transaction came from Sears (my bank has never changed an amount that was charged by me...I don't see how they could do that anyway).

So who do I believe? I hope you can straighten this mess out before I have to seek other remedies.

mdl96789

6. In response to mdl96789

Hi there, mdl96789! Thanks so much for providing this update. I will be sure to pass your comment along to your case manager.

7. In response to mdl96789

Thanks JulieK, I hope we can work things out soon. I've wasted way too much time on this matter that should have been a simple online order.

8. In response to mdl96789

Dear mdl96789,

Thank you for letting us know about the on going run around with your account being double charged. At this time we are forwarding this post over to your case manager and request that you get a follow up phone call to resolve this issue. Again we apologize for the delay. Thank you, Isaac.

9. In response to mdl96789

JulieK and Isaac,

I asked that I be informed by e-mail rather than a phone call. This is primarily due to the difference in time zones. Believe it or not, I've had phone calls at 3:00 a.m. from someone on the east coast because it was 9:00 a.m. for them. I had already mentioned this to the person who called me on Sunday, that my preferred method of communication is thru e-mail. She verified my email address yet did not do as I asked and called me again. I would think if you need to keep track of these things, a written e-mail is better than a recorded phone conversation. I would hope that this simple request can be honored.

mdl96789

10. In response to mdl96789

Hello mdl96789,

I will forward your post onto your case manager.

Thank you,
      Dianne D.

11. In response to mdl96789

Dianne D, Julie K, & Isaac,

I've had enough. I'm cancelling my order. My "case manager" has never complied with my email request although I suspect it's probably a policy since I would have a written record. All I've seen are apologies and promises to forward my post to my case manager. No real action has been done. I've given ample time to have my issue resolved. This is not an isolated incident. Just doing a search here shows up numerous case with the same result. A lot of apologies and promises to forward the customer's concerns to the case manager ... who never seems to be identified. Net result: a lot of irate former Sears customers. Add one more to the list. I just hope with this post and additional social media posts will stop others from making the same mistake.

I have put in a request to my financial institution to halt payment of this fraudulent transaction.

12. In response to mdl96789

Hi, mdl96789! I am so sorry to hear that you were not contacted via email and we were unable to complete your request to look into that double charge for you.

I have forwarded your comments along. I hope that we can still have a chance to make this right for you!

13. In response to mdl96789

Hi JulieK,

Well, maybe there is something you can do. I cancelled my order (confirmation no. 11487207) but I was informed by my bank that there is a hold for two charges by Sears $2598.40 and then $2583.40. The puzzling part is that the second one is because Sears does not offer haul aways (which I was charged $15.00 for) so it should have been a credit yet Sears charged me the full amount. Anyway, my bank said they would release the hold if Sears would fax them a letter on Sears company letter head that they would not be processing the payments. If you can do this, I will get you the information that the bank requested (cc number, name, date, etc.) and the bank fax number.

Please let me know. If you can get someone to do the fax, this will resolve my problem with Sears.

mdl96789

14. In response to mdl96789

Dear mdl96789,

Thank you for the update on your case and the new request you’re seeking. At this time we do see your case manager has a reminder set to follow up with you today. We’ll forward your post and request over to her for further assistance.

Thank you,

Isaac D.

MySears Community Moderator.

15. In response to mdl96789

Isaac D,

Please make sure that my case manager, who ever she is, communicates with me via email. That's the only way I can refer and respond to anything that she asks. Things said over the phone can be misinterpreted ... case in point, I still don't know who my case manager is although she has mentioned her name twice .. I could not understand her clearly.

I have additional information from my bank. It turns out that Sears did not double charge me the same amount. What appears to have happened is that I got charged $2598.40 when I first placed the order. Then, when Sears determined that they don't do the haul away of tractors that I paid $15.00 for, they charged my account for $2583.40 (the original price less the $15.00). So technically it wasn't a "double charge" since the second one was less than the first. I received an email from a Chau T,(order@customerservice.sears.com) the following day after placing my order stating that I would get a credit of $062 (I still haven't figured out how that was determined) for the haul away since Sears doesn't do that for tractors. Lastly, my bank also stated that the payment was actually not processed by Sears but there is a hold on my account for the two charges. If Sears would send a fax to my bank (I can get you what information they require in the fax) stating that Sears will not process the two charges, they will release the hold on my account. If this can be done, my problems with Sears will be resolved. As I stated above, my order (No. 655186244) has been cancelled (Confirmation No. 11487207). There is no longer any need for Sears to process the two charges.
      Thanks for all your help in forwarding my posts to my case manager, whoever she may be.

mdl96789

16. In response to mdl96789

Well, looks like I replied a little too soon. I just checked with my bank, and even though I cancelled the order, Sears has gone ahead and processed the payment request ($2583.40). This is incident is really starting to upset me now. I will be taking further action.

17. In response to mdl96789

Hello mdl98789!
      We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We truly understand your frustrations with the mishaps that occurred with your tractor. We have forwarded your posts over to your case manager and ensure you will be contacted via email. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.
      My Sears Community Moderator

18. In response to mdl96789

Liz R,

Well, I really don't think you do understand my frustrations. First of all, my so called case manager has never communicated with me via e-mail as I requested. I now have a $0.62 credit from Sears that was supposedly for a haul away service that Sears does not do and was charged $15.00 for. I have cancelled the order as of yesterday (April 1, 2014) but found out today that Sears still processed one of the charges and the other is still on hold at my bank. So I have over $5000 unavailable to me until Sears credits my account.

No, I don't think you even can begin to understand the frustrations that I have had in dealing with Sears and it's online ordering system.

I will say that the moderators here have been sympathetic to my cause but that's about the only good thing I can say. The results have not been favorable at all and you will forgive me if I decline to give any other feedback or rating because it won't look good. That much I can guarantee you.

mdl96789

19. In response to mdl96789

One final comment. Since my case manager has never really done anything as far as I was concerned, I've figured out what the $.62 credit to my account was for. Sears was nice enough to refund me the sales tax that was charged for the non-available haul away.

mdl96789

20. In response to mdl96789

mdl96789,
      Thank you for the update on your case. I have spoken to your case manager, Jessica and she is aware that you prefer to communicate with her via email. Jessica did email you an update on your case yesterday and will be sending you a follow up email today.
      Thank you,

Jack C.

21. In response to mdl96789

Jack C.,

I have been monitoring my email as well as the junk mail in case it got filtered out and I stil have NOT received any update from my case manager. I have received other emails from Sears asking me to rate my experience with Sears and sales offers so I know the address is correct. Strangely, after cancelling my order two days ago, I just received a phone call at 5:57 a.m. this morning regarding delivery of my cancelled order. When I explained that I had cancelled the order, the lady I spoke with said she had no record of the cancellation but that she would cancel it and I would receive a refund in 7-10 days. The frustrations continue with Sears!!!! Never again....

mdl96789

22. In response to mdl96789

Just another side note....Sears was quick to refund me the sales tax (62 cents) but when returning my money for a cancelled order, they say it will take 7-10 days. I received my sales tax refund in the 72 hours that Chau T. said I would. I wonder how much interest Sears is collecting while they take their time in refunding my and other people's (like DianneLee) double and overcharges? But I'm sure we, the customers, make that former customers of Sears, will never find out.

mdl96789

23. In response to mdl96789

mdl96789,

Thank you for your post. I have forwarded your message on to your case manager.

Thank you,

Jack C.

24. In response to mdl96789

Are you guys for real? Forwarding messages to my so called case manager has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Giving me an update about nothing being done will accomplish nothing. If this Jessica is a real person, don't waste my time anymore. I read literally hundreds of posts here and the all have a common theme. Poor customer service from the whole Sears organization. The only consistent thing I see is that the Moderators apologize and then forward the message to a "case manager". Also a lot of empty promises and outright lies (i.e. my so called case manager Jessica allegedly e-mailed me an update yesterday and will follow up today). No surprises here, nothing out of Jessica or Sears.com. Only a "Thank you for your post. I have forwarded your message on to your case manager."

Jack C., if you're a real person, you and all the other mods must have a tough job dealing with the hundreds, or is it thousands, of irate customers such as myself. But you can't blame us, you work for a lousy company.

Rant over.

mdl96789

25. In response to mdl96789

Dear mdl96789,

I apologize for the on going delay that we have yet to resolve your concern. We are forwarding this post to your case manager who has an active reminder set to follow up with you.

Thank you,

Isaac D.
      MySears Community Moderator.

2. Dear Dianelee60,

Please accept our apologies for the challenges with your refund. My name is Mina with the Social Media Support team. We are truly sorry for the delay of your credit and the inconvenience we have caused you regarding the dryer purchase. This information has been forwarded to your case manager for attention and we look forward to talking to you.

Thank you,

Mina H

3. Hi Dianelee60! Thanks for sharing your update. I have forwarded on your thoughts to your case manager. Look to hear from someone soon.

Thanks!