Question

Refusal to return gift card money

Purchased an item using $500 in gift cards towards a $1700 wall oven/microwave combo. Received an email saying item is no longer available. After 6 phone calls being handed off to person after person each passing the buck I’m being told it will take 2-5 weeks to send a new gift card. In the meantime I can’t cook my family dinner because I no longer have a working oven or microwave.

Had their system bothered to update the sale of the item off of their store floor in the first place this wouldn’t have happened. They claim they can’t put the money back onto the original cards because “most customers immediately dispose of their cards”. Despite the fact that I have said repeatedly that I have the cards in my hand and am happy to go to their physical location to have this verified they are still unwilling to resolve this issue. If they cannot put the money back onto the cards then email me the numbers off of a new set of cards. Claiming this isn’t possible is simply their way of saying they don’t care about their customers.

In my opinion they have stolen $500 from my family. This is an example of the worst of bureaucracy at work. Claiming they have to pass the information on to “an off-line research group who has no direct phone access” is a load of ****. If they wanted to make this happen they could. They have their money and don’t care if I ever get satisfaction.

Sears could have made a nearly $2000 sale. Instead they have made a very angry customer. If I ever see that money again you can guarantee that I will not make that large ticket purchase and will spend nothing but the total from the cards. Way to go Sears.

Answers

2 answers

1. I saw your comment today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are sorry for the troubles you have encountered with your recent oven/microwave combo purchase. We can truly understand your frustrations for not being refunded in a timely manner. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your issue and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (RoswellGAMom09), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

2. Hi there, RoswellGAMom09! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry you are having problems receiving that promised refund. The SearsCares team can help! They will reach out right here in a bit to make sure you get your refund and are satisfied. Please check back soon for their response.

Thanks!