Question

Sears and Hurricane Sandy

I love to see how Sears is really stepping in to help those affected by Sandy. Sears is providing up to $350 million in Points to existing SHOP YOUR WAY REWARDS Members who live in those areas most impacted by this storm. In addition, they are ensuring much-needed supplies arrive quickly to the East Coast. More than 100 truckloads filled with equipment including generators, chainsaws, wet/dry vacuums, flashlights, batteries, lanterns, dehumidifiers, utility and sump pumps are headed east. I can only imagine how much folks out there need these products when cleaning up and putting their homes back together.

Do we have any East Coast members out there dealing with the aftermath this week? How are you hanging in there?

Answers

11 answers

• San Jose, CA

There have been too many cases of carbon-monoxide poisoning from operating generators too close to occupied areas of people's homes.

Having a gas engine running in one's basement or attached garage is NOT a generally safe thing to do, to adequately shield against the odorless/ tasteless gas that quietly kills people.

Operating a generator close to an open window, roof vent or even an over-hang is not a good idea.

In this case, experience is NOT a good teacher, with carbon-monoxide gas.

You may want to purchase a carbon-monoxide detector, if you own and are operating a generator on a small property.

• San Jose, CA

If you look at the news or listen to the weather channel, I think you might see that a multiple-state hurricane strength storm and recovery efforts is just about EVERYBODY's business.

1. Hi Julie, Sears put a 10% off barcode by many cash registers here for any customers affected by the storm. There are still a small number of stores that are closed but several others are selling daily hundreds of generators and emergency supplies in NJ and NJ where living conditions for millions still borders on primitive. Hopefully Good will still conquers all.

1. In response to madgolfer

NY and NJ ... Missing an edit feature on this board

2. In response to madgolfer

The missing edit feature is a real pain but it does stop posts being altered after someone has pointed out an error. I contribute to one site where you can edit your post(s) until another poster adds a comment then, what you have 'down' stays. I believe this is the best way to deal with the situation. Comments?

3. In response to madgolfer

Hi IQM, some other boards offer a 15 minute window for editing, that's usually all I need to spot a typo.

• San Jose, CA

Hopefully, the gas can be purchased to run the Sears supplied gasoline engine powered generators, over to the storm hit, power-down, areas.

1. Maybe they should buy a craftsman x-mas ornament and that would make everything all better! Good Grief! only 10% off for storm victims? Gotta make that profit. AdamO you are arrogant to sit there and say buy one of our generators oh and good luck finding any gas to run them! I agree with 1bbgguy, to pat yourself on the back just because you sold some discounted tools during a hurricane is again the sign of a self-centered arrogant company man. You should be doing this to help your neighbor that needs help without expecting praise. I guess that's not what Sears is about and you made that painfully obvious.

• San Jose, CA

Umm... I don't work for Sears. I USED to work for Sears. But, now I don't. And, I don't recall suggesting someone who just went through a hurricane go buy an ornament. That would be a little crazy...

2. If you don't work for Sears, why are you still here? Plus you missed the point completely. Do you know what sarcasm is? Read your posts. When you sell a generator and then say lotsa luck finding gas to run it! Maybe you should just order some popcorn for everybody since that is your new obsession.

• San Jose, CA

I think it is fantastic that Sears is stepping up and offering needed tools for cleaning up and bringing storm affected people's LIVES back into some semblance of normalcy.

Normally, shipping and distribution in a large business, like Sears, is, at times, painfully slow from the "need it now" wants and, in this storm's case, needs of customers.

Excellent effort!