Question

SEARS IS SCREWING THE MAKER OF THE MULTIPLE USE WRENCH AS REPORTED ON WORLD NEWS TONIGHT! GREAT WORK, SEARS!!!! I WILL STAY AWAY FROM SEARS, FOR SURE!!!

CHECK OUT DIANE SAWYER’S REPORT TONIGH. THIS IS DISGRACEFUL!!!

Answers

10 answers

• San Jose, CA

One of the Sears stores I visit often has BOTH types of wrenches for sale on the floor, including a pocket knife version multi-tool Bionical that Craftsman does NOT sell.

1. Hi KENKILDUFF! We value our customers loyalty to the Craftsman brand and appreciate your concern on this matter. Please read the official Sears statement here:

http://www.searsholdings.com/cma/

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Yes Julie that is interesting but it only makes the statement "Despite some visual similarities to other tools on the market, the Craftsman Max Axess locking wrench operates in a different way, using a mechanism designed in the 1950s that Mr. Brown expressly argued to the patent office was different from his own design." that Civsci repeated in his post. It makes no attempt to substantiate that statement. It is therefore, in my opinion, just that 'an opinion'. Should 'Sears' or anyone else for that matter, be able to show where and when Mr made the stated argument please reference it.

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

For Brown to receive a patent, the technology he developed would have to be distinct from the older technology. If his design is patented, he would have had to demonstrate how it differs from previous technologies. I can't simply create a screwdriver and patent the design of a flat tip and a cross tip. You can only patent that which has not yet been patented. Designs can also be patented, but if his tool's mechanism is patented as a distinct and wholly separate technology from anything prior, it's not patent infringement. The Craftsman tool simply doubles the number of crimpers in the tool, allowing it to function as a six-sided fastening tool. Having seen the Craftsman and Loggerhead products in person, the Craftsman tool does appear to use the older technology.

2. This is an interesting read, the company manufacturing the Craftsman Max Axess Tool for Craftsman is Apex Tool Group, Which is currently being acquired by Bain Capital, the company Mitt Romney founded: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/business/popular-wrench-fights-a-chinese-rival.html?pagewanted=all

3. Despite some visual similarities to other tools on the market, the Craftsman Max Axess locking wrench operates in a different way, using a mechanism designed in the 1950s that Mr. Brown expressly argued to the patent office was different from his own design.

1. In response to Civsci

Poor Mr Brown, sounds like he is frustrated because Sears chose another design over his own and is now pulling strings at revenge by claiming patent infringement on the competing product made by a different company that he himself admits operates in a different way.

2. In response to Civsci

"Despite some visual similarities to other tools on the market, the Craftsman Max Axess locking wrench operates in a different way, using a mechanism designed in the 1950s that Mr. Brown expressly argued to the patent office was different from his own design." Interesting, could you please tell us the reference source for this? I was about to make a comment on this in the vein that I knew little about it but that it appeared to be an infringement of patent case.

• San Jose, CA

What about poor Crescent Tools and the adjustable wrenches that have the Craftsman brandname on them?

Oh, wait. The Crescent adjustable wrenches are foreign made now and the Craftsman adjustable wrenches have stayed inside of the US.

Who owns the patent on a 16 oz. curved-claw Carpenter's hammer?

4. I hear locking pliers are being made by other companies than Irwin now, too. WHEN WILL IT END? What next? Someone other than George Washington Carver making peanut butter?

See More