Question

SNOW THROWER DOESN’T THROW SNOW FAR ENOUGH: My 5 hp duel stage snow thrower (model 536.886440) doesn’t have much snow throwing power. When there is no load, the 2nd stage throws whisps of snow 10 – 15 feet in the air, but when a modest amount of snow is included, it has trouble throwing it 4 – 5 feet – even with dry powdery snow. With heavier snow, the chute clogs very easily, as if the thworing stage just doesn’t have the power to push the snow up the chute with much force. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Answers

4 answers

1. Thank you for the info. I have checked, and the auger drive belt was DEFINITELY loose. With the auger drive lever pressed, there was 1.5 inches of play. I tightened the idler pulley as far possible and there is still 1.0 inches of play with the auger drive lever pressed, so I assume that the 14 year old belt has stretched too far (the manual says to make it 0.5 inches). I have ordered both the auger and drive belts from Sears and will replace them both. Note that the impeller seems in good shape and rotates freely. Any other advice? Thanks for your help! RCC-Norwalk

1. In response to RCC-Norwalk

It appears you have found the problem. I would also recommend using one of listed non stick sprays or car wax when the snow is heavy.

2. I'm sorry you are having this problem with the snowthrower and I can understand your concern. Wet snow will almost always be a problem for throwers. Outside of that, the depth (or lack of) can also be an issue. Check the belt to make sure it's in good condition and tight (when engaged). Make sure the impeller does not have any odd slack to it as this could signal a problem with the input shaft. Have a look at the impeller directly to make sure it's not worn down and that no foreign objects are jammed up into the discharge area. Using a nonstick spray to coat the chute such as pam or silicone spray and also car wax works well. You can also use mo-deck spray lubricant that can be ordered from Sears PartsDirect. Here is the link http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/MO-DECK/0071/071 . Also make sure the engine is running on full throttle. I hope this will help you.

3. Hi there, RCC-Norwalk! I know you are needing that snow thrower today, too! I am going to pass this along to the Expert right now. I am sure they can help troubleshoot this issue for you.

He will be by in just a bit with a suggestion or two. Once he posts, I will be sure to let you know via email.

Thanks!

See More