Question

The door to the ice/water dispenser on my Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator is sticking. It starts to open, then closes before fully opening. In addition, sometimes the flap to ice dispenser sticks open, allowing freezer air down to the water/ice dispensing area, freezing them up. Is there an easy fix to this? I live in a rural area and it often takes weeks before a Sears repair person is in my area.

Answers

6 answers

1. Thank you for the follow up information with the model number. I was able to look up this model and I found some issues with the food in the refrigerator crisper freezing and door gasket replacement but nothing on the particular problem you describe. I suspect the flapper is being jammed to prevent it from opening all the way and all the time. I understand you live in the country but dispenswer problems not not usually good do-it-yourself projets. I suggest a technician check and repair this problem. I am sorry there is not a known issue with a known fix but your best option is to have a technician check this problem.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

Thank you for checking. I have scheduled an appointment with a repair technician, which is about a month away for the first available.

Sears: anxious to sell people in rural areas an appliance, not as excited to be able to provide them service on anything remotely approaching a timely basis. I'm just glad my problem isn't the refrigerator not working at all. A month without one would be a long time.

2. I'm sorry you are having this problem with the dispenser door. Unfortunately, without the model number, I will only be able to provide some general information. It would seem this dispenser door will be connected to a motor that will open and close it. This could be a problem with the motor or the control board. Some models can be complicated to service and would require a technician to check. You can call 1-800-469-4663 to schedule a tech to come out. If you would like more assistance, please include the complete model and serial number for more specific information.

1. In response to SHC-ScottD

The model number is 795.78733.800.
      The serial number is 809KR00217.

3. Hi jta123,

Thank you for reaching out to our Sears Appliance Experts!

Do you know the model number for this appliance? This may help our Experts in providing detailed information on your specific unit instead of general information.

Once a response is provided we will be reaching out to you via email.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

The model number is 795.78733.800. Does that help?