Question

The light of my 1.5 year old Kenmore refrigerator is not going on when we open the door. If I hold the latch by the door, then the light goes on. The model number is 795.78093.901 can you give me a ballparkfigure of how much will this cost to fix?

Answers

8 answers

1. Thank you for your question. Do you mean the light switch? A repair to the light switch would most likely be in the $80-$100 dollar range. I might be able to offer some do it yourself If you can confirm it is the light switch you are pressing to get the light to come on. On most door switches when pressed in the light would go out.

1. In response to SHC-FredM

I am having this same issue - the light in my 2 year old Kenmore quit working about six months ago - but if I toggle the switch on the frame it comes on. It was just working correctly for about three days - I was sooo happy but now it isnt again. It amazes me that this is not considered a defect - I would understand if the switch went out after many years of use, but for it to be faulty (works and doesnt) after only a year and a half of use seems to be a defective switch. I am currently very frustrated that I will have to spend 80-100 to replace what I believe is a faulty switch... and the fact that I am seeing posts from others having this same issue makes me realize this is not an isolated issue - hence the switches being used in Kenmore refrigerators are not of very good quality.

2. In response to SHC-FredM

Thanks for posting today, briley27! I have forwarded your concerns and question to our Expert. He should be able to share some advice on your light, too.

Thanks!

3. In response to SHC-FredM

Hello briley27, sorry you are having a problem with the light switch in your Kenmore refrigerator. Keep in mind that the light switch is activated every time the door is opened and will be one of the first things to show wear. The switches in most models can easily be replaced and many consumers do so themselves. You can order a new switch from the http://www.searspartsdirect.com/ Sears Parts Direct web site. You will need the model number off the refrigerator because there are many styles depending on model and maker.

I hope this helps.

Ron H.

4. In response to SHC-FredM

thanks for the response but it doesn't really help. While I get that a light switch would be the one to go out first it is really surprising that the switch would go out before a light bulb has even burned out. And it isn't that the switch is out, it is that it seems installed poorly and when you open the door it doesn't come on, but if you pull on it you can get the light to come on. I tried getting the plate out yesterday .. managed to crack one corner but I also found if I slid a piece of cardboard under the back side that seemed to fix the issue which is another reason I feel this is a defect not just normal wear and tear.

5. In response to SHC-FredM

Hi briley27, sorry you are having this issue with the light switch, based on your description it sounds like a bad door/light switch. If you feel this is a defective part I would suggest contacting Sears Home Services and speak with an associate who can (with the model number) research for any reported issues involving the switch. Call 1-800-469-4663, if they cannot help ask to be transferred to our National Customer Relations Department.
      Thanks
      Ron H.

2. Hi Incachief!

Thank you for reaching out in the MySears Community!

I have forwarded your concerns to our Sears Appliance Experts so that they may help you further with your question. The model number you have provided will be a great help in providing you with detailed information.

Once our Sears Appliance Expert responds I will reach out via email providing a link back for further contact with our team.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hello Incachief, sorry you are having a problem with the light switch in your Kenmore refrigerator. Keep in mind that the light switch is activated every time the door is opened and will be one of the first things to show wear. The switches in most models can easily be replaced and many consumers do so themselves. You can order a new switch from the http://www.searspartsdirect.com/ Sears Parts Direct web site. You will need the model number off the refrigerator because there are many styles depending on model and maker.

I hope this helps.

Ron H.

See More